Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affiliate Marketing Help

Options
  • 10-03-2009 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

I have been looking into to doing some affiliate marketing but the sheer volume of scam websites out there is really confusing the issue! One particular website looked like a pyramid scheme - I want to stay a mile clear of that!

My understanding so far is that you have to set up a website 'about anything you enjoy' and then find affiliate partners. If that is the case then why are so many of these websites about the same thing - how to make money online (to the point where it starts to become a pyramid scheme - how to make money is to get more people to pay to learn how to make money etc...)

Also another element mentioned is typing up ads for companies (in google ads) - is that part of the above or a seperate opportunity.

I would really appreciate peoples experience with this and also any links to genuine comprehensive 'how to' guides. For example I looked into www.makingyouricher.com which doesnt' seem to have any bad press (just the name seems a bit ott). If anyone has info on this crowd - I'd appreciate it!

I am a genuine worker so not looking for overnight success (though it would be nice lol) - I am willing to work hard at this to realise my dream of having my work revolving around my life and not the other way round as it does now (I work 3-4 'real world' jobs to make ends meet at the moment and its taking its toll!)

Thank you for reading my post!
    Cheers,
    SnS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gypsy777

Its good you've had the sense to recognise scam sites and hopefully you havent wasted any money on them.
    Almost all of these sites and so called 'gurus' claim to show you how to make money online using systems that dont work. They make their money con'ing noobies looking for a way to do it.
    The truth of the matter is this. making money online isnt easy and there is no fast way to do it.
    The easiest way to get started like you say is to build niche websites and monetise them using various affiliate partners that are out there but ultimately your success is dependant on whether you can drive traffic to the site...You need to become proficient in search engine optimisation.

Here are the best resources ive found to get you started. Start from the beginning and absorb everything from these sites and you should be well on your way.

www.bloggerunleashed.com
    http://makemoneyforbeginners.blogspot.com/
    http://courtneytuttle.com/
    http://makemoneyonlinegrizzly.com/
    http://whatawookie.com/

Gimme a shout if you need any more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Hi StopandStare,
    affiliate marketing is very very tough work. You need not only to identify a niche you are interested in, build a website, add really good content but as Gypsey777 has rightly pointed out also be or become proficient in SEO (Search Engine Optomisation). You also need to be aware that if you have no experience in the field of affiliate marketing you will be going head to head with people at it for years-in 99.99% of niches IMO.

However there are a number of companies that offer a huge variety of products you can easily sign up for and sell making a commission per sale or CPC generated via links they will supply you with. This can potentially save you a lot of time searching out for particular product niches you may wish to target. Basically they offer anything from hotels, car rental, cd's to pet supplies and everything in between.

However be aware that many may be US orientated. TradeDoubler have set up an Irish site in the past 18 months so have some products of Irish interest- and Commission Junction may also worth a look.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stopandstare

Thank you both very much for your replies and warnings!

All going according to plan - I hope to have multiple streams of income set up by next year - Affiliate Marketing will be one - but I am aware now that it may or may not work out for me - still god loves a tryer and I'm definatley that lol! Hard work - I have no problem with - I already run a website - I taught myself dreamweaver to do it a few years ago, traffic is decent and its well established - however search engine optimisation and advertising on it are new concepts to me - so I am reading into them like a devil now!:o I also have two solid ideas for niche websites... even if they don't work for money - they are things I am passionate about and there doesn't seem to be any competitors out there in the market yet!

I've been reading a particularly good ebook - dotcomology - its free and if you ignore the constant 'gentle pushes' to sign up for his product it seems very helpful!

Thanks again for your help and links - I've loads of research to be getting back to... :D Here's to financial independance!!!
    Sns

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gypsy777

No problem

Good luck with it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

You want to let us know your existing website-happy to have have a look and offer any suggestions with regards SEO if you like. May assist if you do decide to build any new site in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DRoche

Hi There.

I have worked for two affiliate management agencies in Manchester and am always up for giving tips and advice on which programmes to promote and how to optomise your site. I have managed programmes in all sectors, Finance, Travel and Retail.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions in particular and I hope that I can be of help to anyone. Try the A4U Forum to find out alot more about affiliate marketing. www.affiliates4u.com.

Regards.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 GoldenGoose

Hi StopandStare,

I’m new to Boards.ie. I was just roaming around when I spotted your post, a little old now but hopefully you will be checking back.

You’re not wrong about the number of scammers out there! The thing to remember though is that there is a real potential to make very good money through affiliate marketing. The hard part is knowing what to promote, how to promote it and where to promote it.

Setting up an interest or authority website or blog is one route to take in order to sell your chosen products, though far from the only option. It is a good idea to develop multiple income streams separate from affiliate marketing but choose carefully. Typing up ads can be laborious for small returns. If you have a talent for writing there are a lot of people who, for various reasons, will pay well to have someone else write their articles, reviews etc.

You asked for people’s experiences, I think a common theme will be frustration. Who hasn’t bought into a programme that promises to ‘reveal the secrets’ only to find that at best they simply improve your basic understanding while holding back the real gems? Another theme will be wasted time and money all of which leads to disillusionment. That’s why so many people lose heart and give up, saying, “It’s all a scam, real people can’t make real money on the internet”

I would have to disagree. I started on this road a couple of years ago. I did all the above, I got very frustrated by all the broken promises. I wasted time and money but eventually I started to see small results I covered my previous losses and started to turn a little profit. Nothing earth shattering, I was still working fulltime but the extra was nice.

At the beginning of this year I stumbled across a programme which at first sight looks like the usual bul***it. You know the type of thing, BIG RED WRITING, bullet points, $171,168.06 Per Month earnings claims (they certainly know which buttons to press lol). Despite all this I read through the blurb.

I’m so glad I did. This programme is genuine. I thought I had learnt some things in the previous 18 months. I knew nothing. I have learnt so much it makes my head spin, my little profit ain’t so little anymore.

This is not about getting rich quick, that is a myth for fools, it is about benefiting from hard work, it is about more than just getting someone else to pay to learn how to make money, (I market many, many different products but this isn’t the place as boards.ie frowns on that sort of thing) it is about taking out the long slow learning process, it is about step by step guidance.

You asked for “any links to genuine comprehensive 'how to' guides.” My apologies link removed, I since discovered this would be a breach of rules (as you asked I hope this will not infringe any rules.)
    to see what I believe is the most comprehensive ‘how to’ programme for affiliate marketing available.

Yes, I am marketing this programme. If you buy in I make money but so can you.

Take a look, you have nothing to lose.

Good luck

GoldenGoose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Tuvok

Most of these affiliate marketing sites are scams. There are a few decent ones out there - you just have to do lots of research to find them. I spent the last two years looking at various ways to quit my day job but I was made redundant before that happened! Luckily I found a decent site that has helped me with making my dream come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 GoldenGoose

Tuvok wrote: »
    Most of these affiliate marketing sites are scams. There are a few decent ones out there

Hi Tuvok,

So true, the trick is to find the wheat amongst all the chaff. You have to trust your instincts and be hyper cautious. Glad to hear you found something you feel works for you.

The programme I joined has been a godsend. Instead of spending time and money searching for resources and ideas everything is there in one place. Allowing me to focus on marketing the products.

Affiliate marketing can be a hard business, time consuming, unpredictable and frustrating. When you find an advantage use it.

Seek and you will find, ask and you will be told (it's quicker;))

Good Luck All

GoldenGoose

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

gypsy777 wrote: »
    Its good you've had the sense to recognise scam sites and hopefully you havent wasted any money on them.
    Almost all of these sites and so called 'gurus' claim to show you how to make money online using systems that dont work. They make their money con'ing noobies looking for a way to do it.
    The truth of the matter is this. making money online isnt easy and there is no fast way to do it.
    The easiest way to get started like you say is to build niche websites and monetise them using various affiliate partners that are out there but ultimately your success is dependant on whether you can drive traffic to the site...You need to become proficient in search engine optimisation.

Here are the best resources ive found to get you started. Start from the beginning and absorb everything from these sites and you should be well on your way.

www.bloggerunleashed.com
    http://makemoneyforbeginners.blogspot.com/
    http://courtneytuttle.com/
    http://makemoneyonlinegrizzly.com/
    http://whatawookie.com/

Gimme a shout if you need any more help.

Thanks for this info

• Advertisement
Advertisement