Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine Value

Options
  • 10-03-2009 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Does anybody know of a good source of information on affordable good wines available in the Dublin area? I am interested in genuinely decent wines around the 8-9 Euro mark. It would be great if there was a wine/beer version of pumps.ie which monitors petrol prices. I am becoming increasingly cynical of the independent chains which seem to have nothing under €15. To my mind what is sold by them at this price is normally obscure and just not worth it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

There is a small book by Jacinta Delahaye listing 100 or so drinkable wines for less than 12.50 which includes quite a few at 8/9 euro... lots are widely available (eg main supermarkets, Marks and Spencer etc) though some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

all cono sur range 6.99 in costcutter? or mcguigan in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Don't lose faith in us independents. We have around 30% of our wines under 10 euro and I'd point you toward the Chilean Santa Alicia range for something superior to what you'll pick up in the supermarket. If you need recommendations, just howler. Pre-mixed cases of 12 bottles include good wines for under 100 euro delivered. Otherwise, surely O'Briens do a solid range under 10 euro?

www.curiouswines.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

MattKane wrote: »
    Don't lose faith in us independents. We have around 30% of our wines under 10 euro and I'd point you toward the Chilean Santa Alicia range for something superior to what you'll pick up in the supermarket. If you need recommendations, just howler. Pre-mixed cases of 12 bottles include good wines for under 100 euro delivered. Otherwise, surely O'Briens do a solid range under 10 euro?

www.curiouswines.ie

O'Briens have a Spanish red called Protocolo right now for €8.99 that they are raving about (though, they would). The posters are emblazoned all over their shop windows.

OP, my own feeling is that once you sink much below the €10 mark, you are getting a confected, standardised, industrial product that won't differ much from one €7 wine to the next.

Is €15 really so bad for six drinks shipped all the way from Chile-Australia-wherever?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

rediguana wrote: »
    O'Briens have a Spanish red called Protocolo right now for €8.99 that they are raving about (though, they would). The posters are emblazoned all over their shop windows.

OP, my own feeling is that once you sink much below the €10 mark, you are getting a confected, standardised, industrial product that won't differ much from one €7 wine to the next.

Is €15 really so bad for six drinks shipped all the way from Chile-Australia-wherever?

They may be pushing it because they have good margin on it - and it could well be good value for money. We feel that there are good finds (some very good) under 10 euro, but 8 euro would realistically be the cut off point. This blog post explains a lot.

You shouldn't have to spend as much as 15 euro for a lovely wine, but if you do spend that amount, expect it to be excellent. If it's not, you're getting crap value for money. Our house wine is the perfect example of quality wine under a tenner. Wouldn't get close to this in a supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Untill about 3 months weeks ago my Brother worked for O'Briens and was included on some purchessing trips to France, Italy and espically Spain, he was raving about this spanish wine they were going to be selling by march that was such good value for money it was unbeliveable, he uses it when he has people over for dinner he likes ot so much, on his last day he bought 10 cases (@33% off because of his employee discount) and he reckons.

He knows his stuff and will spend 50-60 a bottle as an investment without blinking an eye so for him to get so worked up about this stuff is a very good sign.

I quite like it too and at the price they are selling it I feel it's the best wine I've ever had for under a tenner.

Advertisement