Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu 8.10 - Skip Try Ubuntu without.. menu.

Options
  • 10-03-2009 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

Hello, fresh Ubuntu noob using an Eee 900 with a Huawei E169G dongle. Ubuntu is booting from an SD card, having used the USB set up app from a CD. Installed everything I like. Updated. Happy.

I'm a bit embarassed to ask this, but how do I stop\skip the Try Ubuntu without.. menu and just go straight to desktop? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You'll continue to see this unless you install it. You must be booting a live version every time. There will be a noticeable performance hit doing this. Could you install it to the netbook instead?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Amalgam wrote: »
    I'm a bit embarassed to ask this

Don't be. :)

As ethernet said, it sounds like you're booting into the livecd booter each time. What are the menu options? And which one do you choose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That USB setup app creates a live boot on an SD card. It was probably unetbootin? Great little app - used it myself to make a bootable USB stick to put Cruncheee on my netbook.

When you boot you'll have an icon on the desktop to install Ubuntu. You want to use that to install it to the hard disk. This will destroy data on the hard disk - be warned

I'd also suggest that you use a distribution that's optimised for netbooks - like Cruncheee or EasyPeasy. They're both Ubuntu but more lightweight and optimised for the smaller screen. Personally I find Cruncheee must faster than EasyPeasy (formerly Ubuntueeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

When its installing make sure you use the ext2 filesystem aswell!

I believe the default is ext3 which is not good for the slow SSD that comes with netbooks.

Ignore this post though if your netbook has a harddrive.

/Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Apologies for not specifying this, it is a persistent live install (live user) on a 8GB SD card, which suits my needs perfectly. It seems I'm stuck with the language select screen. Thanks for th replies.

---

I find this is miles ahead of Xandros. Less trouble using the Huawei E169G under Ubuntu than Windows (or Xandros for that matter).. It took about 20 seconds to have µTorrent (I don't like Azureus\Vuze) booting up under Wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Apologies for not specifying this, it is a persistent live install (live user) on a 8GB SD card, which suits my needs perfectly. It seems I'm stuck with the language select screen. Thanks for th replies.

---

I find this is miles ahead of Xandros. Less trouble using the Huawei E169G under Ubuntu than Windows (or Xandros for that matter).. It took about 20 seconds to have µTorrent (I don't like Azureus\Vuze) booting up under Wine.

Xandros is a dirty word to my ears, especially that muck that came with the eepc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭corkie

As it is a live persistent install, you should be able to edit some of the config files for it on the sd card. Look for syslinux.cfg file or directory. Can not remember when ubuntu broke this up into a few files. You should be able to edit or comment out the call for language selection and put in another line to pass your choice onto the kernel.

search for "remastering ubuntu cd" on your favourite search engine. for this on file you may need to change.

If you have an 8gb SD Card, that will boot from on your machine. Why didn't you do a full install to the card with out using a swap partition?

It enough space to run ubuntu on?

Regards,
    J.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You should be able to edit or comment out the call for language selection and put in another line to pass your choice onto the kernel.

Cheers corkie, I'll see what needs to be edited. I had a root around already and noticed the files you mentioned.

About a 'Full' install on an SD, would that not lead to problems? As in, lag of some sort, as the OS would act as if on a HD.

I'm experimenting with Remastersys at the moment. Just for heck of it. Dumping an image out to a mini DVD later today.

I'm glad I bought an Eee without an XP license (that didn't stop the seller from selling it to me with a 'dodgy' install..), I wouldn't have felt the need to try Ubuntu otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭corkie

I remembered the above from playing around with re-mastering ubuntu, when I had my 2gb surf model.
    (moved up to AA1)

If you want to remove the prompt at shutdown to remove the CD? you can find the solution link from this post

The solution to your problem "maybe to create" a file name "lang" in the syslinux directory with contents "en" for english!

Just tested the above putting this on one of my usb sticks. It seamed to skip the language selection prompt.

Regards,
    J.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Advertisement