Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to USA?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Know anyone who did it?How did they get in?Is it hard to get sponsored for a work permit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

What are do you work in?

What qualifications do you have?

At what stage of your career are you?

There are several areas that are still taking in employees from overseas but you'd need to supply details before anyone here will know how to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

GuanYin wrote: »
    What are do you work in?

What qualifications do you have?

At what stage of your career are you?

There are several areas that are still taking in employees from overseas but you'd need to supply details before anyone here will know how to answer.

still in school, wouldnt be heading over for few years just curious... I hope to work in the Law industry or maybe a psychiatrist.. I would only be starting my career when i would like to move over.. is it hard w/out experience? Does anyone know what career areas are good for getting in to a country such as the US in the coming years??thanks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,842 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not studied on the subject but if you have a degree you're off to a good start, though I'm not sure how much checking they do? I imagine unskilled labor is at the bottom of the food chain for green cards though. Even better if you can pre-arrange an employer through monster.com or similar that would be willing to sponsor you. I can't figure it would be very hard, especially Irish. You might be getting too ahead of yourself :)

Though one of my friends in Clare was from LA and he and our Australian buddy would often joke that they would go to San Francisco to go through the Gay loophole (at the time) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

stainluss wrote: »
    Know anyone who did it?How did they get in?Is it hard to get sponsored for a work permit?

Hey - i did this about 9 months ago. I came over here on a 3 year L1 visa. I worked for a US company in Dublin, and was lucky enough to get a transfer. They looked after everything regarding applying for the Visa, providing a work permit. From what i gather, if you've got a company willing to back you, you should have no problem getting a Visa sorted,

It really does make life easier to have a company behind you. Maybe start to look at US companies/firms that may Irish offices, it may be a way that you could get over. Alot of graduate programs also offer the chance to move over here (i know AIB's did). Not sure if it would be the same in the legal profession though,

Advertisement