Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming to TV

Options
  • 09-03-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a drobo and a droboshare to use as central storage for movies and music. Does anyone know of a clever way to stream this to the tv, some kind of inline box that connects to the network and into the scart or whatever...

Have I just found a gap in the market and exposed my unpatented idea to the world??? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I only took a quick look but it looks just like a network share to me.

There are numerous ways to play stuff stored on a hard drive \ network share to pc.

USB hard drive - you can use something like http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=408560
    Networks share- I use an original XBox with XBMC installed. You can pick one up for about 15 euro and it only takes about an hour to install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

There are external media drives out there that can just stream to a TV via a gui built into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

I know about the whole media harddrive thing. I'm able to stream from my external harddrive through my laptop to the tv and we have a media harddrive in the house.

I'm looking for somthing that will allow me stream from a network drive direct to the tv. It would allow me to download movies/songs/whatever, save them to drobo over the network and then anyone in the house can access them at any time and i could stream a movie from the network straight onto the tv

As I mentioned I use an xbox with XBMC for this but you could try something like
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=345557&view=detailed#ProductTabs
    or
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=428978

I haven't used either so don't know about quality etc

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

cheers that looks along the right lines, the xbox could be a realistic option also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

+1 for XBMC, exactly what You need, You'll pickup an Xbox for €20

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    +1 for XBMC, exactly what You need, You'll pickup an Xbox for €20

About the only thing it's missing is HD playback, but it does play almost every format you can throw at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

matrim wrote: »
    About the only thing it's missing is HD playback, but it does play almost every format you can throw at it.

And opens files faster than windows itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I used an Xbox for over a year for streaming - worked a treat. Then I got a taste for HD so built a HTPC instead. But if Standard def is enough then XBMC is the winner.

Advertisement