Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Game Desensitization@@@

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Whoever wrote that really needs to work on their "their/there/they're" and "were/where/we're"
    Fairly interesting read nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I don't know how valid it is though - I find gore and violence in video games amusing most of the time - but when I see it on the news or someone injured in real life it tends to disturb the shmidt out of me - so I don't know if it's valid really - and I've been messing with violent games since I was a nipper..

That of course could be totally different for the more easily affected (mentally) ones in society.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The 6 top-selling Xbox 360 games feature guns to a large degree, and have sold 30 million copies between them.

Where is the corollary spike in shootings? Oh wait... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

anyone ever found it odd that violence and murder in the media is largely allowed, something that is supposed to be inherently wrong and ammoral. Yet sex, which is one of the most natural human acts and the origin of all of us, is so taboo in media and games?

I loved the sketch from the onion movie that had the group of people playing "rape in the dark" instead of "murder in the dark"... how is that we have such a big problem with rape, but we joke about something, much more serious, as murder and it's ok.

I mean I used to play cluedo as a kid, and the fact that someone was murdered in it was never a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

L31mr0d wrote: »
    anyone ever found it odd that violence and murder in the media is largely allowed, something that is supposed to be inherently wrong and ammoral. Yet sex, which is one of the most natural human acts and the origin of all of us, is so taboo in media and games?

wii sex please!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'll leave this here for now.

Advertisement