Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub in Laois found in breach of alcohol codes

Options
  • 08-03-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

The Independent Complaints Commission has found a pub in Co. Laois in breach of alcohol codes.

A member of the public complained that the Weighbridge Inn in Portarlington encouraged illegal or irresponsible drinking in two promotions last September.

The panel said the promotions were at risk of leading to alcohol misuse as set out by the MEAS guidance notes.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyaukfidqlcw/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

i presume this was something like "happy hour"?

fook the government and its useless laws

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

It was hardly the €3 a beer on match night thing was it? Or was that more recent than Sept :confused:

Strange anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

how is a promotion illegal???

and isnt the 'responsibility' for drinking held with the person and not the publican???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

sydthebeat wrote: »
    how is a promotion illegal???

and isnt the 'responsibility' for drinking held with the person and not the publican???

Thanks to changes in the law brought in by Michael McDowell, promotions where prices are changes are actually illegal- the law now states that drink prices must remain the same in a premises from opening to closing; i.e happy hours, promos etc are illegal.

Fun country we now live in. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

emcc wrote: »
    Thanks to changes in the law brought in by Michael McDowell, promotions where prices are changes are actually illegal- the law now states that drink prices must remain the same in a premises from opening to closing; i.e happy hours, promos etc are illegal.

Fun country we now live in. :rolleyes:
    Not quite. The law says the price can't go down during the course of a night, but it can go up.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what is considered the legal length of time?

can prices drop for a whole day??

what about the pub in kerry dropping prices to 3.50... how long does he have to keep that price in order for it to be legal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

what about the pub in kerry dropping prices to 3.50... how long does he have to keep that price in order for it to be legal??
    I think it's basically from opening til closing.

If a drink starts the day priced at 3.50, it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭El Che

This is nothing new.

I'm only surprised that they didn't do something useful, such as tackle a number of Laois pubs which allow gatherings of underage drinkers every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Nice to see the busy bodies in the town are still at it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭El Che

kmart6 wrote: »
    Nice to see the busy bodies in the town are still at it :rolleyes:

If that comment refers to me, I'm actually one of those underage drinkers from time to time but some of the things certain pubs get away with is ludicrous.

When you're finished college and 10 years older, you'll probably be on here whining about anti-social behaviour, underage drinking, and boy racers. In other words, you'll be one of those busybodies, the real ones that complain about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 winnipeg

alcohol has to be sold at the one price for a minimum of 48 hours for it to be legal

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Advertisement