Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extra subject

Options
  • 08-03-2009 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Im in 5th yr, I was wondering if there is anyone who would give grinds in a subject not really grind but teaching the subject outside school.I have realised that I may not have the points for the course that Im going to do.

At the moment Im doing 3 ORD subjects, maths & irish & english and I do biology & chemistry & economics & spanish at HL
    I dont really like economics and I get bad and good results sometimes in class tests so I thought of doing home economics outside school but the instute is too far ,and I know now dat its hard to do hom ec outside scool as you have to do the assigenments and its kinda late to start the grinds.
    I also thought fromthe start of the year to change to higher maths but the teacher said it would be hard even though I got an A in my junoir cert (ORD),english I never thougt of it bec I get 60s and 70s in class tests and in christmas exam I got 65% which is vbad if Im going to move.Irish I dont now ^_^

SO is there someone that does such grinds and preferly a woman, and what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭paddyb125

Do you play an instrument?? If you do music would be a great option!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

i dont do music

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭paddyb125

I'm saying you could do it as an extra subject...its really not that hard, i decided to do it 2 weeks before the practical for my LC last year and i got a C3..and all I play is drums! I literally put random notes all over the shop for the written test!!

im not into music or aything related to music, i prefer to do science or business or home ec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Ive no idea what home ec is like but would there be a section that would have to be done in school? Like madatory experiments or the likes?! That could be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

i'd say do business instead of home ec......home ec isn't that easy and you don't have practicals with business

what course do you want to do? there's lots of people who do an easier course first for maybe 2 years and then transfer to the course they really want, like into the second year of that course so it's only an extra year. ask your career guidance teacher if this is an option

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Why don't you move to higher level English? Even if you got an A1 in Ordinary level that's only 60 points, whereas you say you were gettting C1s which is also 60 points. If you brought up your English grade just one or two grades you'd get way more points than for ordinary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

is it too late to add another subject on for this years lc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

my advice would be:

DO NOT DO home ec as an extra subject..
    it's just not a nice course.....its too long and boring..
    TOO Much

ag science would be good i think.

• Advertisement

leesmom wrote: »
    is it too late to add another subject on for this years lc?

my friends bro picked up business in the last 3months and got a B

~Candy~ wrote: »
    ag science would be good i think.

would you be able to add ag science to biology for points purposes. You used not be able to but I think they changed the rule but I'm not sure :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

is it not to late to apply for an extra subject to the examinations commission

but I already do a business subject (economics) and the choices to pick for courses genetics (human) and pharmacology,I was going for pharmacy but the points are high and also I was going to do human nutrition,but points are high again and you need home ec,I think.I looked for course in med and health but I think these are the courses for less then 520 points.

Ill ask my areers guidence tomz and see if I do HL english,prbility is she will say "no"

ayumi wrote: »
    but I already do a business subject (economics) and the choices to pick for courses genetics (human) and pharmacology,I was going for pharmacy but the points are high and also I was going to do human nutrition,but points are high again and you need home ec,I think.I looked for course in med and health but I think these are the courses for less then 520 points.

Ill ask my areers guidence tomz and see if I do HL english,prbility is she will say "no"

who says you can't do 2 or even 3 business subjects. why not ask your english teacher instead of careers guidance if you can do higher level english?

Ill see tomz what my english teacher and I dont really like business subjects but I pick economics bec the home ec teacher when explaining the course for lc sounded boring but I feel the gulity that I did for myself and the only way to do this is :
    1. up to HL in either maths,english,irish
    2.do an extra subjectoutside the scool (which is impossible for me)

I HAVE A CHEMISTRY TEST BETTER GO AND STUDY:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

ayumi wrote: »
    Ill see tomz what my english teacher and I dont really like business subjects but I pick economics bec the home ec teacher when explaining the course for lc sounded boring but I feel the gulity that I did for myself and the only way to do this is :

1. up to HL in either maths,english,irish
    2.do an extra subjectoutside the scool (which is impossible for me)

....Higher English, judging by your post, wouldn't be a great idea.

pathway33 wrote: »
    would you be able to add ag science to biology for points purposes. You used not be able to but I think they changed the rule but I'm not sure :confused:

i am not too sure but
    well one of my friend does both bio and ag science anyway..
    he said ag science is easy if u do bio..so i mean if u were good at bio ag science would be good ..

as far as i know ur not allowed to do economics and ag ec together tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

leesmom wrote: »
    is it not to late to apply for an extra subject to the examinations commission
    I know someone who took up ag science yesterday so obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i am not too sure but
    he said ag science is easy if u do bio..so i mean if u were good at bio ag science would be good ..

Some Unis dont accept the two together if you're applying to do some science courses. (TCD specifically, its mentioned in the prospectus)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

What about Religion?:)

Fad wrote: »
    Some Unis dont accept the two together if you're applying to do some science courses. (TCD specifically, its mentioned in the prospectus)

wow...you seem to know a lot :D i better tell him that..
    but i think he wants to do nursing in ucc:P

i wonder do ag ec counts for points in TCD then?O_o i am doing that as well as business and accounting and i am going for the business n law course, i say i should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

pathway33 wrote: »

yes you can count both subjects for points since the biology course changed in 2002.
    i am not too sure but

you can't do economics and ag economics together (for points), too much of an overlap. there is a project in ag science though, it's not such a walk in the park.
    Mr Maroon wrote: »
    I know someone who took up ag science yesterday so obviously not.

he'll have a lot of work to do, project is due on 31st march, i wonder who he's going to get to sign off on his 2 years of project work. :rolleyes:
    wow...you seem to know a lot :D i better tell him that..
    but i think he wants to do nursing in ucc:P

i wonder do ag ec counts for points in TCD then?O_o i am doing that as well as business and accounting and i am going for the business n law course, i say i should be ok?

of course it counts once it's a LC subject.

Advertisement