Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disintegrating cork

Options
  • 08-03-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Bought two fab bottles of wine yesterday, when I tried to open one - the cork just disintegrated. No chance of getting purchase on the cork at all. So two questions! Should I just bring it back, or persist and try to get the cork out?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

olaola wrote: »
    Bought two fab bottles of wine yesterday, when I tried to open one - the cork just disintegrated. No chance of getting purchase on the cork at all. So two questions! Should I just bring it back, or persist and try to get the cork out?

You could do either. A reputable supplier will take it back - they just return it to the shipper. If you keep trying to get the cork out, the crumbs of cork will get in the wine. And straining the wine through a seive is only if you are desperate/shop is closed. You can risk getting the cork out and use a piece of kitchen roll to soak up the crumbs from the neck of the bottle. However, the wine might be 'corked' as well. Although I have had disintegrating corks before where the wine has been ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Return it to the shop. They have to take it back. As above, a chance it has been spoiled before the cork fell to pieces!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Take it back to the shop! Between cork taint and corks falling to pieces you would take back maybe one in every 10 or 12 bottles so its no big deal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We got greedy - so we persisted with the cork and got it open. No bits fell into the bottle, and it tasted as good as the other one :)

Advertisement