Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting playing online? + some questions

Options
  • 08-03-2009 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi there,

I play a little bit of poker with friends etc. for small amounts of money, €10 buy in. I'm not great or anything, but I enjoy it and reckon I can improve if I play more regularly :)

Anyway, I downloaded Full Tilt Poker's software and have been playing the 'play money' games for the last few weeks, and I seem to be getting better! I was especially happy yesterday and I started with 1000 chips and within an hour had 50000! :eek:

I started messing then (as one tends to do with play money :)) and lost it all, but nevertheless I was quite excited to be in that position at all !

So what I was wondering is: is playing online with real money drastically different to playing with fake money? What I mean is that obviously people change their style of play knowing that they're using their own cash, I know I do ! So is it a lot harder with real money, and I should disregard the wins with play money?

And more importantly -- can someone get me started? :o I'm only planning on starting with €10 or max €20, so I'll be working up from there. Can I use my (Irish) laser card to lodge money on Full Tilt? Can I withdraw any winning fairly easily?

I'll be quite cautious at the start anyway as I am unemployed so can't afford to be anything else :p But I'd be playing cash games, and leaving if I increase my monies a decent amount. I'm not looking to be a millionaire straight away! :D

What's the best site to use for Irish players? So that I'm able to deposit and withdraw money easily.

Thanks alot,

I'll probably post with another few questions soon! Go easy on me! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

Hollaments, I think you should stop posting anonymously:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Disregard any play money stuff, just look for some deposit bonus or get somebody to refer a friend bonus you etc. Play small stakes with that money and move up, they will be bad players. Dunno if full tilt is easy to withdraw from, my brother can only withdraw 100 minimum from there as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AAGRESSOR

Hi mate,
    i think for getting started and building up from a small stake you would be better starting on an ipoker skin they have st n goes from 10 cent up.I would probably pick boyle poker you can deposit in store or by lazer card and they have good freerolls and beginner tables.Fulltilt is an excellent site also but it probably more suited to having more of a bankroll and the deposit withdrawal features are less accessible.
    First thing i do is find Chris Ferguson article on bankroll management on the fulltilt site and stick to it stringently.$20 is not enough to play 1/2 cent nl whitin a bankroll you would need 25/30 buyins (125/150).Your better building up on 50c to $1 stt on ipoker when you build to 125/150 you can play 1/2c cash (even the likes of Phil Ivey would be gauranteed to go bust with $20 playing cash).Building like this will also greatly improve your discipline,self control and you,ll be less lightly to tilt of your roll.At these levels keep it tight play position and avoid trying to bluff idiots.
    Hope this helps gl at the tables.

Advertisement