Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LT35, good or bad?

Options
  • 08-03-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

How do the Camper fraternity view the VW LT35 as a basis for a camper.

The reason I ask is that I have a very good 2005 Chassis/Cab which I wont need soon and it struck me it might be an idea to fit a camper body, if I can find one.
    I wouldn’t mind having a Camper for a while but I would probably want to sell it after about 12 months. Mine is the 2.8 engine, LWB with 80k on it.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

don't know enough about the LT 35 to comment really, but "finding" a camper body worthy of transferring I would reckon is next to impossible.

You might want to think about just plonking an old caravan on the back.

alternatively, there are several companies like these
    http://www.ormocar.de/alkovenfahrzeuge.html?&L=1
    http://www.mabu-leerkabinen.de/Kabine/kabine.html
    that would fit your chassis with a custom built camper body (expensive though)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

The LT is a good van, I was just wondering how camper fans view them as I would want to sell this at some stage if I do it. I have never noticed many of tham as campers.

There is no way I would use an old caravan. It would have to be done right or not at all. Should be possible to find a damaged modern camper, maybe crashed in the front.

The LT will be parked in Spain for a while. With so many campers around there you would never know what I might find.

On the continent there are quite a few camper models that are LT/Sprinter based.
    I wouldn't expect that an LT base would be held against you when you sell it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I've seen tham used before, as long as it has a good payload and plenty of power it should do grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

I've an LT35 and I love it.. they make brilliant camper vans.
    At the risk of being thrown out of camper van conversations forever, I think they're a lot better than the type 2s etc.. more room, more power, more reliable. Admittedly they don't look quite as good arguably and they lack the 'cool' factor, but imo the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages

• Advertisement

Franner wrote: »
    I've an LT35 and I love it.. they make brilliant camper vans.
    At the risk of being thrown out of camper van conversations forever, I think they're a lot better than the type 2s etc.. more room, more power, more reliable. Admittedly they don't look quite as good arguably and they lack the 'cool' factor, but imo the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages

See ...this why this forum is called "campervans & motorhomes" :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Hi,
    How do the Camper fraternity view the VW LT35 as a basis for a camper.

We were out in the father in laws hymer in kerry at the easter weekend, saw 4 sprinter based motorhomes all has the usual white sprinter rust rash but seems to be a common chassis for conversion. Most seem to be MWB though, the lwb sprinter is huge. due to that long nose. (If you look at the crash tests of sprinter vs. ducato you'll be glad of that nose though)

You might be able to find a reasonable motorhome bdy from the 80s that could be tarted up with paint, upholstery and new decals from ebay. Just make sure you get it over 3 tons for the vrt.

Advertisement