Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admiral Football Kit

Options
  • 08-03-2009 5:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I remember my first football kit was an Admiral football kit and everyone seemed to have one. It was out of the bargin bin in Intersport and it was West Ham (I liked the colours!)

Where did they go? Last I remember is them being on Leeds around when the Eng Prem started.
    eric_cantona_brian_deane_171092_470x365.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I (very) faintly remember the Admiral kits worn by England and Man U in the very late 70s. Best shirts ever, just before some of the horrible stuff in the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

stovelid wrote: »
    I (very) faintly remember the Admiral kits worn by England and Man U in the very late 70s. Best shirts ever, just before some of the horrible stuff in the 80s.

It's weird that nearly everyone seems to think the best looking kits are the ones from the time when they started following football. For example, If you had asked me once upon a time "when were the best shirts produced" I'd have said the best kits were the ones from the very early 1990's. Basic enough designs usually with a sensible collar and minium "exhuberance" on the part of the shirt designer. Stuff from the 70's just looked stupid. Short-shorts, big collars and giant logos. Stuff of today just looks like tacky crap.

However, In retrospect, based on photographic evidence, I now feel jerseys reached perfection in the late 1960's. No badge, no logo, no sponsors, no flecks ie a jumper.. Everything since is just a motley garb created to identify people on the street with no style, individuality or intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Afaik Admiral still do kits. They did the Leeds United one about 2 years ago, which wasn't bad. They also do a lot of cricket kits.

Leeds kit 07/08 - sidepic-l.jpg

They also do rather nice jerseys for Masters Football tournaments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pigman II wrote: »
    However, In retrospect, based on photographic evidence, I now feel jerseys reached perfection in the late 1960's. No badge, no logo, no sponsors, no flecks ie a jumper.. Everything since is just a motley garb created to identify people on the street with no style, individuality or intelligence.

The united kit (around 77, 78) I had in mind had no sponsor (did any club then?) and was quite simple. I think they only started putting the logo on around this time.

I agree about the sixties (bar the badge) though. When they wore relatively plain shirts at the Manchester derby for the Munich commemoration, it looked great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hkcharlie

They also do rather nice jerseys for Masters Football tournaments

I thought that was Cabrini (or something like that), do they have the Admiral badge on them?

And Stovelid, I think you're right about putting the logo on the shirts. I don't think it started happening until the mid to late 70's.

I read somewhere that Admiral made the World Cup 1966 kit and it was the demand for a replica that started the replica shirt business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

hkcharlie wrote: »
    I thought that was Cabrini (or something like that), do they have the Admiral badge on them?
    It says on the Admiral website that they make the Masters' Football jerseys anyway... I've never seen it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

stovelid wrote: »
    The united kit (around 77, 78) I had in mind had no sponsor (did any club then?) and was quite simple. I think they only started putting the logo on around this time.

I agree about the sixties (bar the badge) though. When they wore relatively plain shirts at the Manchester derby for the Munich commemoration, it looked great.

Liverpool were the first club in Britain to have sponsors. Hitachi in 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pigman II wrote: »
    It's weird that nearly everyone seems to think the best looking kits are the ones from the time when they started following football. For example, If you had asked me once upon a time "when were the best shirts produced" I'd have said the best kits were the ones from the very early 1990's. Basic enough designs usually with a sensible collar and minium "exhuberance" on the part of the shirt designer. Stuff from the 70's just looked stupid. Short-shorts, big collars and giant logos. Stuff of today just looks like tacky crap.

early 90's all the way apart from the material they were made from, if you could have the material of the 60's/early 70's and the design style of the early 90's that would for me perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hkcharlie

early 90's all the way apart from the material they were made from, if you could have the material of the 60's/early 70's and the design style of the early 90's that would for me perfect

What made kits in the early 90's unique? Can you give us an example?

I have to say, I didn't like the short shorts and the tight shirts of the early 80's, I think I just like the Admiral brand from growing up with it.
    I remember my West Ham shirt was itchy as ....

Advertisement