Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtualbox Trouble

Options
  • 07-03-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi I need some help, I’ve installed VirtualBox on my Ubuntu system using apt-get, I’m trying to get the network running on the guest OS (Win XP), I Have followed the instruction on this guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox.

When ran the script I got

net,ipv4.ip_forward =1
    tap1.

In VitualBox I have set the network to both tap0 and tap1

Still no luck

Can any point me in right direction?

BTW this a a test berfore I intall it on my eeePc 701

[Mod's note: I will leave the question up, the account is nuked]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

Is there a reason you're using bridged networking instead of nat. You don't have to configure anything. Just install xp and it should auto configure network settings. What you're trying to do is hard and I don't know the answer. I tried this in KVM and honestly it took a LOT of time....

I don't know how useful virtualbox will be on an eeePc will be

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Advanced_Networking_Linux
    http://samiux.wordpress.com/2007/07/11/bridge-network-interface-on-virtualbox/
    might have some answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

An eeePc wouldn't have the cpu power to run anything virtually, it'd bring it to its knees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

Ok thanks for the help I’ll have a look at the links later.

Well I tried the default NAT and it did not work , so I did a bit of googling , and it mention bridging so I thought I try it.

I’m using Tiny XP

The reason I am doing this is that I’m playing around with my lego mindsstroms kit, and I want to use BrcxCC which is a windows program with nice little Bluetooth control feature.

I tried running it in WINE but I found the usb is not that great in WINE , so I though I use Tiny XP as a VM and try running it from there.

I had only used VMPlayer on my windows box to run Linux so i thought i give virtual box a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

lol, forget to switch accounts?

Tillotson wrote: »
    lol, forget to switch accounts?

ROFL, I'd never have spotted that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

heheheh - so which account do we report?

back on topic - use NAT. Works perfectly. Attached are my XP VM settings in Ubuntu.

From the OP I can't see where the eeepc remark came from :confused:

Dual boot is probably your best option here. Use gparted from a live cd to create some space and then install tiny xp in its own partion, this will overwrite grub which you'll have to manually repair, ask uncle google

Make sure you got the Xp drivers for the eeepc before you start. I have them here, if you need just pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Arbuzas

New version of VirtualBox has option to attach virtual network adapter to host interface. Basically it can pick up new IP though DHCP which is very handy. Settings->Network->Attached to->Host Interface and then chose eth0 or what ever interface ur using. Thats it, u dont need to do anything else it should pick up IP from DHCP and works straight away. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I install the version on this months Linux Format, and still no luck with the newwork but I'll figure it out . I do have Usb and Bluetooth working.

BTW Pog MoThoin i have the eeePC disk do I just replace the windows folder on the xp iso with eeePc one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Arbuzas

mach1982 wrote: »
    I install the version on this months Linux Format, and still no luck with the newwork but I'll figure it out . I do have Usb and Bluetooth working.

BTW Pog MoThoin i have the eeePC disk do I just replace the windows folder on the xp iso with eeePc one

Did you try to attach network to host interface?

• Advertisement
Advertisement