Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typography Project.

Options
  • 07-03-2009 1:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hello there,

Im currently applying to IADT for Visual Communications and also in DIT and had the idea of creating a small but interesting typography project to hand in, alongside my portfolio.
    My portfolio focuses more on the brief given by NCAD this year,and as this is a more specified course,vis com, I thought it would be a good idea to focus on this fact a little more in my portfolio.I've currently got 2 weeks to produce something small but pleasing with afew good ideas and quality. In A3 format most likely.
    Im interesting in font and typography quite abit,i would consider my self a practiced enough graffiti artist(roughly over 3 years writing) and would like to incorporate this skill into the work,mainly the fact that i could produce letters and fonts with spray paint on a large scale,in odd and differnt locations etc.
    I apologise if i may be abit vague in describing this,kinda hard to actually put what i wana do in into words if you get me but basically Im looking for any tips or ideas on where to start?
    Start with basic and most used fontfaces?Historical fontfaces or modern ones?... Im really not sure to be honest so Im asking for any opinions or tips on where to start from anyone who has experienced a project of this sort before,or really anyone with interest in this matter at all.
    Let me know what u think anyway,all suggestions welcome!:)
    Peace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

A guy from creativeireland did this project called 'The News in Type' before where he'd take headlines and represent them typographically. It seems like a really good excercise.

Also, similar project here:
    http://www.designingthenews.com/2008/03/16/one-week-of-the-guardian-tuesday/

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tallulah_crack

hey op, i think it's really cool that you want to make this piece to add to your portfolio!
    i know you said this already but your whole idea seems a little vague, do you know what the actual content of your piece is gonna be ie is it a poem, quote etc...i find that once your content is decided you can brainstorm around this and come up with some interesting ideas that stand out from the norm, also the content will help you choose your typeface, layout, format etc...
    let us know how you get on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭mewithoutyou

Thanks for your replies!

Well my portfolio itself already focuses on the snail and other natural spirals,flower tendrils and stuff. Afew other mechanical spirals too such as bike chains etc. so maybe that could be a starting point for this project. It could complement the portfolio too,just to show my interest in typography and the likes. But i really am looking for any advice on anything to do with typography or ways to go about a small project because,apart from graffiti lettering,I dont know too much about typography?I havnt been educated in typography at all really...apart from the obvious such as how the type should relate to the content etc.Is there certain rules or common mistakes that i should be careful to avoid for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

guess you are familiar with the site myfonts.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Quartet

Hello there,

Im currently applying to IADT for Visual Communications and also in DIT and had the idea of creating a small but interesting typography project to hand in, alongside my portfolio.
    My portfolio focuses more on the brief given by NCAD this year,and as this is a more specified course,vis com, I thought it would be a good idea to focus on this fact a little more in my portfolio.I've currently got 2 weeks to produce something small but pleasing with afew good ideas and quality. In A3 format most likely.
    Im interesting in font and typography quite abit,i would consider my self a practiced enough graffiti artist(roughly over 3 years writing) and would like to incorporate this skill into the work,mainly the fact that i could produce letters and fonts with spray paint on a large scale,in odd and differnt locations etc.
    I apologise if i may be abit vague in describing this,kinda hard to actually put what i wana do in into words if you get me but basically Im looking for any tips or ideas on where to start?
    Start with basic and most used fontfaces?Historical fontfaces or modern ones?... Im really not sure to be honest so Im asking for any opinions or tips on where to start from anyone who has experienced a project of this sort before,or really anyone with interest in this matter at all.
    Let me know what u think anyway,all suggestions welcome!:)
    Peace

The microsoft website Knowledge Base (KB) has very interesting aricles on creating your own fonts. Its a good place to start if you want to try out some PC based options!

Advertisement