Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutral Milk Hotel?

Options
  • 07-03-2009 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Anyone here a fan? And so could they recommend any similar artists?
    They released what is possibly one of the most under appreciated albums out there, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea just over ten years ago. If you haven't heard of them I'd really recommend them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

love 'em! track down some of the solo projects!

also, check out Rock Plaza Central and let us know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If you like them you'd probably like Wilco. Think NHM but without the annoying voice and more than 1 great album

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Wilco? wtf? god no. pls don't inflict that ****e on urself or ne1 else in the nearby vicinity. most over-rated useless ****ing band ever.

this post may contain exaggerations

as a lol teaser for Rock Plaza Central, check this review for chuckles:
    Gothic folk about mechanical horses with artificial intelligence advanced enough to think they’re real horses, but also to question whether or not they were only programmed to think that. Also they’re caught in the middle of a battle between good and evil.

Lead vocalist Chris Eaton caterwauls in this nasally opera full of dense acoustic guitar and violin. Equal parts Tom Waits, Neutral Milk Hotel and O’Death, the robo-horses on this excellent disc are more human than many other narrators in the musical lexicon.

never knew this existed

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭larrykinney

Wilco rule. 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' is the best album of the 21st century (well, so far :D) Also check out 'A ghost is born' and 'Summerteeth'.

IMHO, 'In the airplane...' is woefully over-rated. I just don't get it, yet I'm always encountering people on message boards wetting themselves over it

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Check out the Microphones 'Glow Pt. 2' and Mt. Eerie. I reckon you'll like them. Similar vein to NMH. I just got In the Aeroplane.. a couple of weeks ago and I love it. Really melancholic feel to it and it's got a trumpet so I'm sold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

how about olivia tremor control? they were one of the elephant six bands back in the day, check them out if ya like NMH. I'm also gonna say yo la tengo, because they're the greatest band of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fated2pretend

I can understand how it might split opinion, but, for me, 'Aeroplane ...' is one of the best albums - if not the best - ever made. It might take a good few listens to get into, but if/once you do, it just has a certain power about it that, IMO, no other album can match. Individually, some of the songs on it are among my favourite ever - the title track, 'Holland 1945', 'Oh Comely', 'Two-Headed Boy Pts. 1 and 2' - while as a whole, everything about it - what Jeff Magnum sings, how he sings it (jarring through it might initially be), the effect it has, etc. - is just perfect.

As for similar bands, the most obvious one that springs to mind would be The Decemberists. They're definitely more accessible, but have a similar sound and also go in for albums based on interesting concepts and the like, usually involving ships/the sea and other folk tales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Would also recommend The Decemberists and also Grizzly Bear and Silver Jews.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I think it's an ok album, some great songs, well put together, lyrically and musically. But others just don't do it for me and i tend to skip as many as i listen to.

But Yankee by Wilco is a similar album just a hell of a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 nylon

A quite fantastic album. Lyrically very inventive, love "Holland, 1945" especially.

• Advertisement

Titus Andronicus?
    The Gerbils?
    Volunteer Pioneer?

All amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Morgans

Someone said that "In the aeroplane over the sea" takes a good few listens to get into earlier. To me, it was love at first listen. The first five songs (excluding the short instrumental) was the music that I was practising for when I first heard it. Just stunning.

As was mentioned, I would say that Olivia Tremor Control deserve a listen if you like Neutral Milk Hotel, and of course, if you havent listened to 69 Love Songs by The Magnetic Fields, you should do so. They arent very similar really but in my experience several fans of one tend to love the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

In the Aeroplane is pretty much my favourite album of all time. I suppose it is just a very love-it-or-hate-it album. Communist Daughter is a great track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Oh Comely is a masterpiece too. Just Jeff, his guitar and his straining voice. Turn up the volume and you can hear the producer exclaim 'holy ****!' at the end of the take.

So make all your fat fleshy fingers to moving,
    And pluck all your silly strings, bend all your notes for me.
    Soft silly music is meaningful, magical,
    The movements were beautiful, all in your ovaries.
    All of them milking with green fleshy flowers,
    While powerful pistons were sugary sweet machines.

And to answer your question OP, try listening to any of the Elephant 6 stuff.

Olivia Tremor Control, as already stated
    Elf Power
    The Gerbils
    The Apples In Stereo

Jeff Mangum also contributed to Major Organ And The Adding Machine, though it takes a while to get into it..

In addition, try Beirut, similar kind of instrumentation to NMH, and songs are wonderfully haphazard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

I love Beirut & AH&AH. I had heard so many great things about In The Aeroplane... and bought it recently, quietly expecting to be blown away.

What a disappointment. It was almost like somebody was playing a bad joke and exchanged the disc for a CD of Saw Doctors demos. Or is this really how this modern 'holy grail' LP is supposed to sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

See if you go to listen to aband with preconceived notions that its great you will more than likely be let down.... especially if the album is a slow burner and this definitly is! ild recommend listening to it again and again its amazing and so viral...

was in whelan's and the DJ played king of carrot flowers and i went jim morrison about the place and nobody hada clue who it was!! fckin youth with their killers and lilly allen... whelans sux anyway!

similar artists - hmmmm........... definitly the kinks!! the moody blues? might go with a hint of the frames!! check out some of the side-projects/spin-off bands/solo projects...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

might go with a hint of the frames!!

a little bit of me just died !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ArmitageShanks

Couldnt agree more about the album a true master piece!!

I would maybe suggest Okkervil River. I like their album Stand In's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Over&Over wrote: »
    I love Beirut & AH&AH. I had heard so many great things about In The Aeroplane... and bought it recently, quietly expecting to be blown away.

What a disappointment.

Ditto.

Huge non-fan of NMH. I find myself loving a lot of bands that cite them as an influence, but I don't seem to be hearing what everybody else does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

See if you go to listen to aband with preconceived notions that its great you will more than likely be let down.... especially if the album is a slow burner and this definitly is! ild recommend listening to it again and again its amazing and so viral...

Definitely agree, I'd never even heard of NMH or how big of a deal this album was supposed to until someone randomly recommended it to me and I was completely blown away. It's a bit grating on the ears at first, but then it starts to sink in and it just becomes mind blowing.

It's a bit like a musical equivalent of Catcher in the Rye. You either don't get it at all or it completely rocks your world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

It is frankly a scandal that someone could suggest that Neutral Milk Hotel sound even the slightest bit like the Frames. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is one of the most unique albums I've ever heard, it's such a masterpiece and it gives up something new every time you listen to it. The frames have simply stolen other peoples ideas and mashed them together into something that appeals to people who don't realise that the real greatness is in the sources which have been pillaged and not in the patchwork which Glen Hansard has cobbled together out of other peoples work.

To think that the effort Jeff Magnum puts into what he does could be equated with the lazyiness off what Glen Hansard does is ridiculous. No offence meant to the other poster by the way, but it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

NMH, fantastic? Yes. Underrated. God no. In an Aeroplane is one of my favourite albums and I'm a man who has very little time for Folk. At 1st I thought it was goofy as hell but it sure as hell grew on me. The lyrics and Jeff Mangum's voice just do something amazing.

I suggest trying out The Mountain Goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

You might like Two Gallants. Seems nobody over this side of the pond really knows much about them. They're quite a bit like The Decemberists, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭mosstin

liah wrote: »
    You might like Two Gallants. Seems nobody over this side of the pond really knows much about them. They're quite a bit like The Decemberists, actually.

Decemberists? Ye Gods.....nasal whine ahoy.

http://www.onfirelive.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

marzabar wrote: »
    Anyone here a fan? And so could they recommend any similar artists?
    They released what is possibly one of the most under appreciated albums out there, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea just over ten years ago. If you haven't heard of them I'd really recommend them.

Actually got into them a couple of years ago and even then didn't realise how long they'd been around. Highly, highly recommended! Awesome band!

Check out The Magnetic Fields. 69 Love songs is brilliant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Check out The Magnetic Fields. 69 Love songs is brilliant.

Is that their latest with Nun's Litany on it? I love that song one of the best rtacks from last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

lordgoat wrote: »
    Is that their latest with Nun's Litany on it? I love that song one of the best rtacks from last year...

It's found on their new album Distortion, not 69 Love Songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Culann

I got into them via posts on here and from hearing them on last.fm. I don't know how they passed me by. It did take quite a while to get into the whole album (Aeroplane over the sea), but there was a time after listening to it in its entirety that I 'got' it....I've never really had that before. The way 'The Two Headed boy' segues into 'The fool' gets me every time.
    I can't really recommend anything similar as I haven't heard anything that comes close to being as good and I suspect I never will....but I hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Danco wrote: »
    It is frankly a scandal that someone could suggest that Neutral Milk Hotel sound even the slightest bit like the Frames. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is one of the most unique albums I've ever heard, it's such a masterpiece and it gives up something new every time you listen to it. The frames have simply stolen other peoples ideas and mashed them together into something that appeals to people who don't realise that the real greatness is in the sources which have been pillaged and not in the patchwork which Glen Hansard has cobbled together out of other peoples work.

To think that the effort Jeff Magnum puts into what he does could be equated with the lazyiness off what Glen Hansard does is ridiculous. No offence meant to the other poster by the way, but it has to be said.

Get over yourself will you!!

Person clearly wanted to hear similar artists so i recommended 3. and the third was a more closer to home/familiar artist. If you ever listened to The Frames albums and not jsut the singles or big songs, and not get all hot and bothered to jump on them because you hate Glen Hansard. There is clear essence of some NMH in The Frames and thats why i said them also being Irish and all and clsoer to home he might know them.

You've clearly explained exactly what i meant... as I said
    ...might go with a hint of the frames!!

as your said
    Danco wrote: »
    .....The frames have simply stolen other peoples ideas and mashed them together....
    and whats to say one of them ideas and sounds wastnt influenced by a NMH song or album?

Now back on your high horse.

Advertisement