Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to contact in Eircom for Reverse DNS setup?

Options
  • 06-03-2009 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody know who to contact in Eircom to set up a reverse DNS record for my fixed IP?

I've had it for a number of years and was never too bothered about the IP address not resolving back to my domain but now I have a need for it to do just that.

The Eircom.net site seems to be built to completely discourage communication and I can't find any way to make such a request. I don't fancy phoning support and sending my blood pressure through the roof trying to explain what I need.

Has anyone successfully gone through this before?
    Is there an email address I can send my request to?

Thanks

Liam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

God help Ya.... Why dont you change hosting to Someone like say blacknight.. They have an excellent contol panel and you make all dns changes your self..(they'l do it for ya if your stuck) or they talk you through it on the phone.. Plus they be way cheeper than eircom..Do Eircom host you mx records also?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I doubt Blacknight let you make PTR record changes yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

JohnnieM wrote: »
    God help Ya.... Why dont you change hosting to Someone like say blacknight.. They have an excellent contol panel and you make all dns changes your self..(they'l do it for ya if your stuck) or they talk you through it on the phone.. Plus they be way cheeper than eircom..Do Eircom host you mx records also?..

Sorry, I didn't give enough information. This is a home setup so I'm doing my own hosting and won't be changing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

Hi,

This is usually done by the DNS Master - which has always been a well defined role in most comm companies, so a quick search on google revealed this:

dnsrequest@eircom.net

Hope it helps.

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

failing that with most isp's a quick call to tech support will give you all the info you need, once you don't get someone on the phone who's never heard of DNS you should be ok

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've sent a mail to dnsrequest@eircom.net.
    Will let you know if that works.

Liam

I received a reply from Ricky in Eircom.Net DNS Requests Team this morning confirming that my request has been carried out.

Can't really ask for a better result than that. Well done, Eircom.

Thanks everyone for the replies and assistance.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fintobelli

Hi, how did you word this request as I am trying to get them to add a ptr record for our company email but I may be asking the wrong question.
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Something along the lines of this should do the trick

Please create the following PTR
    1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa - host.domain.com

Advertisement