Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop for 400e

Options
  • 06-03-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

i was hoping to get some advice on the 'above price' for purchasing a laptop for college, all i need it for is surfing the net and do do college essays and the like

any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

thank you in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 duvelhedz

You should always go for something a bit better than you need it for so you won't have "Grass is greener on the other side syndrome" and also to give it an element of futureproofing. I would recomment Windows XP with 2GB RAM, Dvd burner. All of which seem to be standard these days. You could buy a Vista machine and have XP loaded onto it very easily which will save you RAM as XP uses 1/2 the amount to run.

Your best place to look would be Harvey Normans or PC World. H.N. have a sale on this weekend so try them 1st. You should be able to pick up something decent for less than 400 euro new. Otherwise check on the adverts.ie, buy and sell, or the gumtree for something 2nd hand.

Best of luck in the hunt!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Freeman, here you go, the thread has been on Bargain Alerts for a while.

A Lenovo N500 laptop, 2GB Ram, 2Ghz dual core Intel chip, 250GB hard drive, Bluetooth, webcam, DVD-write. 400 with delivery.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055455859&highlight=Lenovo

It includes the Intel X4500 chipset, which can handle HD video.

---
    Your best place to look would be Harvey Normans or PC World.

No disrespect, I would disagree with that statement.

---

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It seems Laptop prices have increased by about 25% in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

acer laptop in tesco.....379euro dont know anything about it:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

cheers for the info lads, unfotunatley that laptop is sold out, would have been ideal, any more reccomendations at all?

maybe a dell chunky perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

There is a Very nice looking Dell Inspiron 13, nice Spec and 13" screen so its pretty light and portable. It comes in at €450 (until tomorrow).

Having had a look at what else is on offer at around that price i would say its one of the best offers. Otherwise have a look at Netbooks maybe?

http://ireland.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-13?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs

Looks very similar to the XPS M1330 that i have and love. Just ordered the above for my brother. Worth a look.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Col_Loki wrote: »
    There is a Very nice looking Dell Inspiron 13, nice Spec and 13" screen so its pretty light and portable. It comes in at €450 (until tomorrow).

Having had a look at what else is on offer at around that price i would say its one of the best offers. Otherwise have a look at Netbooks maybe?

http://ireland.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-13?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs

Looks very similar to the XPS M1330 that i have and love. Just ordered the above for my brother. Worth a look.

That's a great deal. I'd even go for that machine over the xps1330, seeing the issues the xps has had with Nvidia graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

That's a great price, and looks like a nice machine.

The spec is a little lower (in relation to processor and graphics) than some of the Lenovo N500s and Asus X58s that were going around, but those things seem very hard to find now. So for now, that Dell looks great value, and looks like a nice neat machine to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yeah i was quite surprised to see it myself. It says the "Offer" will stop on the 11th....so it might go up a bit on price.....who knows!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Guys does anyone know if the ram in that Dell is expandable up to 4GB? I see from the Dell site is it 2x 1024, but is there additional slots?

Cheers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't think there'd be more than 2 RAM slots. That's not to say it's not possible to have 2*2Gb RAM installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Yeah, max ram is 4Gb, two slots so 2x2Gb. If you want to upgrade, you'll need to remove one or both of the existing ram modules.

The reason they ship them like that (2x1Gb) is so that the ram is operating in dual channel. It should be a touch quicker than a single 2Gb stick (in theory, although in practice not so much).

Advertisement