Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy AFL 2009 - Get your team in now!

Options
  • 06-03-2009 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

It's back! The AFL season kicks off on March 26th it's time to pick your team for the 2nd Boards AFL Fantasy League.

Last year's competition was very successful and quite competitive right down to the very.

Hopefully there will be as much interest this year.

Those that played last year can log in to their accounts as usual and join the leagues.

Any n00bs can simply log on to http://aflfantasy.foxsports.com.au and set up an account before entering.

I'm setting up two competitions -

- Classic League (Code: 1333-82) - Usual fantasy format

- Head to Head League (Code: 1333-92) - Each player in the league will play all teams twice (Home & Away) your round score versus your opponents round score. 4pts for a win and 2pts for a draw. 12 teams are needed.

Any questions feel free to post them here or drop me a PM.

Good luck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I'm in. How do the interchanges work? Do they get the same points as the people who start?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

They do indeed yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In.

I just picked a few of the names I recognise from the more expensive players, then filled my team up with random clicks on cheaper players :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

i'm in... did an autopick for now

i reckon you should have a handicap system since non-Aus-based players are at a disadvantage ;)

Judd's Duds are in. I intended having Juddy as part of my team, but then I realised that a Cats centre might be a better pick! Ah well, plenty of time to work on a good name!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Spuds Saints are in.

Basically I filled my team based on the Teams selected by % and then swapped them out to bring my cost down to the correct level. The same tactic got me a mid table position last year. Maybe if I pay attention this year I can move up the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭krahsrekop

alright i'm in but dont really know much of the players only a few but i hope cousins will get me lots of points

Ah a man after my own heart. I've gone with big as well.

At the moment I have -

Murphy
    Rioli
    Le Cras

Morton
    Lonergan
    Johnson

Hayes
    Cousins
    J. Selwood

Logan
    Cox
    Clarke

Brown
    Rooke
    Richards

Lake
    Ladson
    Power

Interchange:
    Bate
    Murphy
    Hocking
    Blake

Happy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

The foxsports comp is by far the worse system there is and draws a fraction of what these two do. Its probably not to late to switch to one of them given the season is still 16 days away.

Has the best system and fairset value of players:
    http://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/

The most popular and official fantasy league: same engine as above but not as intuitave with player performance.
    http://dreamteam.afl.com.au/

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah a man after my own heart. I've gone with big as well.

At the moment I have -

Happy enough

I'll rate these picks for you in terms of value. 1 being poor, 10 being great.

Murphy 5
    Rioli 5
    Le Cras 7

Morton 7
    Lonergan 4
    Johnson 4

Hayes 3
    Cousins 7
    J. Selwood 8

Logan 8
    Cox 4
    Clarke 7

Brown 5
    Rooke 4
    Richards 6

Lake 7
    Ladson 7
    Power 8

Interchange:
    Bate - 1 on the bench 6 on the field
    Murphy - 1 on the bench 6 on the field
    Hocking 5
    Blake - 3 on the bench 7 on the field

Value for money are the draft picks from last year. names like Rich, Hill, Ziebel, Sidebottom, Jacobs. and injured players coming back. Cousins, Kerr, Judd, Skipworth, Hentschel. 10 good value players to look out for.

• Advertisement

Cox, the best ruckman in the competition, a 4?! Come one now. You must be a Dockers fan.

As for the ratings of Steve Johnson, Cyril Rioli and Robert Murphy, well that's quite frankly ridiculous imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Cox, the best ruckman in the competition, a 4?! Come one now. You must be a Dockers fan.

As for the ratings of Steve Johnson, Cyril Rioli and Robert Murphy, well that's quite frankly ridiculous imo.

have to agree with xavi here, shocking ratings for Robert Murphy and Dean Cox. 2 of the best around. they may be expensive enough in your value for money ratings, but you have to use it wiseley and get the best for it. Dont know how you'd think Judd is good value for money in that case.

Judd has carried a major injury through 2008, the dreaded osteios pubis, (a sore dick). But he has added 6kg of muscle over summer. Mainly through his core, hips, glutes and upper legs. He will be a power machine.

As for the ratings, they are not based on the players ability, it is the cost vs performance. Cox is the best big man, but he will not give you a return such as bredan lade, who had a poor season last year, but has come out in the preseason dominating. (has the hunger back).

Rioli, R Murphy 7, S Johnson 3. there are 3 murphy's in the comp, and 4/5 Johnsons based on the initials I've changed the review. ;)

Im a Hawks support so I was chuffed with Rioli - but his value was last year, expect a lull in his performance. You should get the new Rioli. C Yarran (Carlton) or some young kid in Port Adelaide not sure of the name. Steve Johnson is a class player but with one G Ablett tipped to be playing more up forward, look for him to be bypassed. Too expensive.

The tip is simple. Put 12 kids in the team that cost 1 - 1.5. Then blokes like Cox are essential. Get a few elite players coming back from poor years or injuries or a change of club. Then if it is a choice between a G. Ablett or a J. Bartell go the cheaper option for now. Trade up later, when your kids are worth 3-4, by buying in more kids for the bench as they get games.

Anyway like i said the foxsports fantasy league is pants and is not great with a real salary cap and has about 150,000 less players then the afl league which imho is a much better application.

go the hawks.

PS Xavi if you are a weagles man you should be looking at masten 6/7, keer 8, cockie 9 (rookie), swift 8.5. Keer is elite and is great value. Also Hayes is expensive he would be much better swapped with L. Ball or the Keermister, who is very hungry and looking great at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Oh Look: An Eagle have joined,
    Only started watching the highlights on tg4 last year so dont know too many of the players!! I'll stick with it though

legend73 wrote: »
    PS Xavi if you are a weagles man you should be looking at masten 6/7, keer 8, cockie 9 (rookie), swift 8.5. Keer is elite and is great value. Also Hayes is expensive he would be much better swapped with L. Ball or the Keermister, who is very hungry and looking great at the moment.

A great post mate, looks like you could be a real asset to the forum!

Just on Daniel Kerr - yes he is an elite player but he's far too injury to rely on at this stage. Priddis might even be a better option

If you have the cash to splash then Kerr is the man - he is fit at the minute, otherwise you can rely on one of your kids off the bench or an emergency at this stage. Rich, Sidebottom will both have an impact this year in the middle of the ground.

You should not have any players on your bench worth more then 1.5 or so. Just a waste of cash there, better spending it in the middle of the park.

Smokeys this year. T Tuck (haw), H Skipworth (Ess) both will get more game time then last year. I just can't go past R Griffen either, this guy is ready to be one of the best footballers in the comp.

Other rookies, S Jacobs (Car), Whitecross (Haw) Beams (Col) could feature early on in the season.

B: Goddard - P Burgoyne - Drummond
    HB: Houlihan - C Cornes - Gilbert
    C: Cousins - Judd - Kerr (all west coast here)
    HF: Franklin - J Brown - Goodwin
    F: Veszpermi - Fevola - Skipworth
    Foll: Lade - Griffen - T Tuck
    Inter: Raines, Rich, Ottens, Ziebell
    Emer: Hill - Sidebottom - Yarran

B: Goddard - P Burgoyne - Drummond
    HB: Houlihan - C Cornes - Gilbert
    C: Cousins - Judd - Kerr (all west coast here)
    HF: Franklin - J Brown - Goodwin
    F: Veszpermi - Fevola - Skipworth
    Foll: Lade - Griffen - T Tuck
    Inter: Raines, Rich, Ottens, Ziebell
    Emer: Hill - Sidebottom - Yarran

Lol if only it were 2006! :(

yeah I have Masten myself on my side, whther or not he'll make the step up is another thing. I think the eagles may well improve on last year anyway (cant ge tmuch worse!) A nice young team who have a few games behind them and (hopefully) returning senior players who were injured for the majority of last year.

Masten's pre-sesason form is good, like Dizelle for Brisbane, there is a huge expectation of being ball magnets. I think they'll both do alright but I personally think they are a tad expensive given their experience and short time at the top level. Masten looks alright though and the weagles need a fit Kerr, Pridis needs to learn how to dispose of the ball correctly, he lets himself down with his effectiveness.

I wouldn't expect great things from them this year, just not enough depth across the ground.

Masten's pre-sesason form is good, like Dizelle for Brisbane, there is a huge expectation of being ball magnets. I think they'll both do alright but I personally think they are a tad expensive given their experience and short time at the top level. Masten looks alright though and the weagles need a fit Kerr, Pridis needs to learn how to dispose of the ball correctly, he lets himself down with his effectiveness.

I wouldn't expect great things from them this year, just not enough depth across the ground.

have 'Razzle dazzle' in my side too. Looks like a class player alright. Masten from reports seems to be coming on well alright, so hopefully he'll make a good impact this year. Dont think anyone would expect much of the Eagles, but all I'd like to see is a better set up than last year and to be at least in with some sort of a shout of finals placings come the end of the year and not to be fighting with the Dees again for a wooden spoon

• Advertisement

The Head 2 Head league is now FULL. 12 teams are in -

1 Galactias Cylons
    2 West Coast Coolers
    3 Judd's Duds
    4 Boardeaux Bengals
    5 BocaJunior
    6 Spuds Saints
    7 PersonalFowls
    8 Useless Donkeys
    9 Oh Look: An Eagle
    10 The True View
    11 False Hope
    12 Blues Louise

Should be good fun!
    Gameweek 1 (26 Mar)

Useless Donkeys v PersonalFowls
    False Hope v Oh Look: An Eagle
    Galactias Cylons v Boardeaux Bengals
    The True View v BocaJunior
    Blues v Spuds Saints
    West Coast Coolers v Judd's Duds

Is West Coast Coolers your team Xavi?
    You're going down in the first game!;)

Yep, bring it on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Better get me finger out and sign up here!!Wouldnt want Xavi not having genuine competition like last year ;)
    Just done a random pick for now......

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭krahsrekop

Happy enough with my first weeks effort. 6th overall and won my first game not bad for a beginner it can only go downhill from here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Happy enough with my start to this, 6th in Boards and 2nd in the Head to Head, only knew a handful of players names before I started but getting familiar with a lot more of them now

Advertisement