Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bluetooth USB Dongle for laptop?...

Options
  • 06-03-2009 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell XPS m1330 which has bluetooth capability, however sometimes the range is not very good. I'm 99% sure that it is the bluetooth capability of the laptop that is the problem and not my bluetooth applications. I use my bluetooth headphones with my laptop and my phone. There is no problems whatsoever working with the phone, however when paired with the laptop the reception is choppy alot of the time.

I was told that getting a good USB dongle can increase the strength of the signal sent from the laptop. Is this the case? Is there any difference between a normal bluetooth USB dongle and one that will strengthen bluetooth signal when there is already one coming from the laptop? (hope that makes sense!). Anyway, I'm looking at getting this one from amazon...http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-GBU421-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter/dp/B0018O9JIG/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236293685&sr=8-2

Any opinions or information appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 duvelhedz

I personally prefer the Kensinton ones due to the fact that it will work through walls and I can acheive speeds of up to 110kbps 10.5 on an IBM thinkpad running OSX. the reviews here seem to be good in general but i would be aware of the fact that the model provided in the link has a very small internal antenna, usually this is one of the causes of poor reception. Mine is about 1.5 inches long so would provide the antenna space

Also, I forgot to ask, Have you been to the Dell website to see if there is an updated driver for the inbuilt bluetooth. This may fix the issues:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ostrich

duvelhedz wrote: »
    I personally prefer the Kensinton ones due to the fact that it will work through walls and I can acheive speeds of up to 110kbps 10.5 on an IBM thinkpad running OSX. the reviews here seem to be good in general but i would be aware of the fact that the model provided in the link has a very small internal antenna, usually this is one of the causes of poor reception. Mine is about 1.5 inches long so would provide the antenna space

Also, I forgot to ask, Have you been to the Dell website to see if there is an updated driver for the inbuilt bluetooth. This may fix the issues:pac:
    I think ebay is your best bet. I bought one from there for €1.99 and it was perfect.

Advertisement