Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cougars.?

Options
  • 05-03-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭

We were driving around the hills just outside of Donegal and spotted a wildcat. It was dark grey with its ears pointing to the front of its head rather than the side unlike a domestic cat and it was also a lot taller than the average cat. Looking through photos on the internet of possible cats I came across the cougar. It had the same face but it was darker than the picture.

It was defintataly not a domestic cat but none of the locals had heared of it. I don't have a photo of it as I was only driving past.

Are they common to Ireland or should I report it.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Cougar is a native American cat and it is highly unlikely that you saw one unless it had escaped from a Zoo and it is along way to Belfast or Dublin Zoos! If you were near Glenties or Fintown perhaps it was the mythical "An Mhuc Dubh" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Given the totally bizarre and inept lack of regulation for the captivity of such species in Northern Ireland; it's possible that what you saw was a panther or similar. They have been reported many times over the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't forget our own inept regulations but I still think it was the Beast of Buncrana.

Try this link for more about Black Panthers in NI.
    http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v08/rnd0838.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Im no where near glenties, fintown or buncrana. In fact buncrana is over an hour away. Im five miles from Donegal Town.

Do yas know what it could be. It was diffinetly not a domestic cat. Its face was a bit squished looking and it did look like any picture of a cougar I seen except a darker colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

I can believe it, for reasons stated already.

We are in the Blue Stacks, and it is wild country. Our dogs sometimes sound alarms for no visible reason, so we know there are critters out there. Larger than a domestic cat.

sup_dude wrote: »
    Im no where near glenties, fintown or buncrana. In fact buncrana is over an hour away. Im five miles from Donegal Town.

Do yas know what it could be. It was diffinetly not a domestic cat. Its face was a bit squished looking and it did look like any picture of a cougar I seen except a darker colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jacers

Have found a dead wildcat in Galway but never knew they existed in Ireland untill now.

Advertisement