Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti or Graffiti style

Options
  • 05-03-2009 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm a graphic design student and I'm doing a short thesis on Graffiti.

I have done some research on the web and have a basic understanding of the philosophy - Graffiti is another method of communicating to people. But because of the process or method of this communication writers can be prosecuted because the are writing on other peoples property and so have to try to keep their identity hidden.

In the last year or so I have seen Graffiti or Graffiti style graphics being used in commercial situations and appearing in art galleries. I thought this was interesting and wondered whether it should still be called Graffiti because it doesn't really follow the philosophy of the movement that was started in Philadelphia and New York back in the 60's.

The basis for my thesis is whether or not commercial or legal Graffiti can be called just that - Graffiti. I feel there should be some distinction and it should be called Graffiti Style or even given another name all together?

If anybody finds this interesting or has anything to say I would appreciate your comments, whether you agree or disagree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

It ain't graffiti unless it's hand done, on a public peice of property in my book..

There is also legal graff, on building hoardings, legal walls, paid work (e.g. Sony PS3 advert scheme)..

I always refer to this as "urban" art because realistically, that's where it originated!

EDIT: My current postcount will verify what I have said is 100% correct (1337) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

Ive done something along these lines before: :cool:

n1236470750.jpg

n1231982240.jpg

n1236470802.jpg

I know there not the best in the world but I think there cool :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Nice topic.
    I have recently become interested in Graffiti or urban art too so I know what you mean by defining the term graffiti or seperating it from urban art. A question could also be raised by the art I've seen around Dublin that is Graffitiesque (made up word) such as the project where art students have painted abstract art on those boxes of electric units (at least I think thats what they are) across the city, most notably temple bar, at Christchurch and Parliament st. It is in a style you would expect the contemporary politial graffitists to use but yet would have been invited to do this by whoever, Dublin city council.
    I've also seen 'graffiti' in cafes and restaurants plus have seen the guys do it on the space by the george bernard shaw. So is it that graffitti has come out of the gutter and is now cool and socially more acceptable because of urban street culture and fashion. This is probably encouraged by interview on radio and urban mags around town by Mazer and St. Leger and the Asbestos Series. Also, the fact that Banksy sold a piece of work indirectly for £102,000 raises questions on the value of graffitti.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6340109.stm

:rolleyes:I haven't actually answered any questions but its a really interesting topic.
    The more the merrier I say, they can paint my wall any day.

Advertisement