Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing a .pst file

Options
  • 05-03-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

hi all,

i have a pst file from my last job and want to access this on my home laptop. this is running on xp home edition and i have office 2000 also, incl outlook.

i dont have an email server or anything like that. i tried to use outlook which asked me for 'microsoft exchange server' and 'mailbox'. i assume these are your server name and email address, however i dont have these. it then asked me would i like to go ot the default folder location. i went there and navigated to my pst file which it didnt seem to recognise. i have tried this a few times and when i get past the default folder bit outlook always seems to crash. FYI, the pst file is ~900mb and on a portable HD.

i dont really care about outlook, all i want to do is access the pst. is outlook my only option? is there any freeware people can recommend?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What is the file?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

its an Outlook email archive file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Theres a Thunderbird plugin to open them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You do not set it as a default folder. This should be set to the default "Personal Folders".

Instead, you start up Outlook, choose File \ Open \ Outlook Data File.

every time i click File outlook crashes?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Go to control panel and then click the mail icon. Create a new profile and open outlook again. Set up the new profile using a pop account (just fill in any old details it doesn't have to work). then click File - Data File Management and open the pst

I guess that Outlook was, prior to this, set up to use a home POP3 account?
    And that this home laptop has never been connected to the exchange server?
    Was the PST created in Outlook 2003 or higher? To work with Outlook 2000 or XP it would have to be opened in the higher version of Outlook and exported as a (97-2002) version PST.

You could try opening Outlook in safe mode, by running
    Start \ Run >Outlook.exe /safe
    to see if crashes still occur.

----
    Failing that, clear out the incorrect exchange setup.

Create a backup of the Outlook PST.

Right click on the Outlook icon on the desktop.
    Choose properties.

From here you'll need to correct the Outlook settings.
    Under "e- mail accounts"
    Remove any account entry for MS exchange.
    Mail needs to be delivered to the personal folder.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Theres a Thunderbird plugin to open them

do you know which one it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use your existing copy of out look to create an empty PST (office 97 compatible)

make a system restore point - you may need it
    Download the 60 day trial version of micosoft office 2007
    install only outlook and open both pst's and move the stuff from the new one to the office 2000 one
    uninstal office 2007

if outlook is still flaky after doing a reinstall of it then system restore back to where you started

am a bit concerned that it is looking for exchange server
    If it is an OST file you will need to find a tool that can convert OST to PST first

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files
    looks like you either need outlook or use shareware or only 97-2002 format files
    readpst is mentioned and it can't read 2003 or later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Your PST file is probably post 2002 which is why Outlook 2000 is having problems with it. If you know someone with Outlook 2003/07 you could open the PST file on that PC and then copy the data into newly created old type PST file so that you can use it on your own 2000 installation.

I am guessing that he created the exchange account in Outlook while trying to open the PST the first time round. Which is why i suggested removing it, and that is the reason for Outlook crashing before he even gets to import the PST.

Advertisement