Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox staying resident in memory

Options
  • 05-03-2009 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've a problem with Firefox ever since I got my new HP laptop running Vista SP1. I use FF 3.08 and it works fine for a while (could be half an hour or more sometimes) and then the internet connection stops working. I can startup another browser like IE or Chrome and it will work away fine.

If I close FF, it leave the screen and taskbar but stays in memory when I open up task manager and I am unable to force it to close. If I click on the FF link on the Start Menu it says FF unable to start because another session is already open!

When I shut down Vista (which takes ages when this happens) it will restart and FF will work away as normal again for a while.

I've tried a full uninstall, delete the directory and re-install but it seems to make no difference. Anybody got any ideas / experiencing same?

Thanks,
    Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭M@21

Thomas,
    Did you re-install the OS or just Firefox itself.
    If you only did firefox, then I would suggest you look at doing a full anti-virus sweep of your system. There are a number of free AV products online that you could run - Kaspersky or Microsoft's onecare.live scanners to name a couple.
    Don't just rely on your own systems AV.
    Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try deleting the firefox default profiles allowing them to be re-created to see if it solves the problem, also try running firefox in "No Addons" mode from the start menu to see if its a dodgy addon causing it

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

Are you using ZoneAlarm by any chance? Had a problem like this a while ago and ZA was at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Thomas

Jack - I am using Zonealarm as it happens - how did you resolve it?

M@21 - I only installed FF again - I didn't bother reinstalling Vista. I don't think there is any virus - I'm a fairly experienced user and havent been using anything dodgy.

Yoyo - I've created a new profile thus avoiding the default one and will see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

I uninstalled Zone alarm and replaced it with Sygate. Not an ideal solution, but it works. Zone Alarn doesn't seem to like playing nice with firefox, and I don't think the issue has been resolved.

EDIT: And happy Paddy's day! ^_^

• Advertisement
Advertisement