Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

four more years???

Options
  • 05-03-2009 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi
    Just looking for advice or any info- I would like to do secondary teaching in History but my undergrad is not in this subject. I e-mailed the teaching council and basically got told that i would have to have taken history over 3 years of a degree course. I am currently doing a MA at the moment and don't really fancy going back and doing another undergrad- 3yrs for the undergrad + 1 yr post grad = 4yrs!!:eek:
    So just wondering if there is a way i could speed up this process- any MA / post grad programs that would qualify or equal a 3yr degree requirments for the teaching council?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

I don't think you can.
    When they say degree, they mean degree unfortunately. I know people who have gotten into teaching courses in the UK only to find out halfway through that the teaching council won't accept their degree, (example arts degree teaching history but history wasn't a big enough part of the degree according to tC) they then have a choice of leaving, or staying and not teaching in Ireland.

If you did a teaching qualification in the UK, you might be able to do some Open University modules to meet the Teaching Council's degree requirement
    retrospectively. But you might need a lot of modules and it could end up costing quite a bit. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

There's no way around this and in fairness, there shouldn't be. Surely it makes perfect sense that you should have to have a degree in the subject you're teaching!

If you really want to teach, why not do the H.Dip and teach one of your undergrad subjects?

Advertisement