Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] Traffic in Longford and Edgeworthstown on Friday Afternoon

Options
  • 05-03-2009 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I’m planning a trip from Dublin to Mayo tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, leaving Dublin at approx 2pm. With the Kinnegad By-pass, I see no traffic problems until I hit Longford and Edgeworthstown. From past experience, I remember these towns being bottlenecks and so are better avoided at peak times. For this reason, I’m planning to detour from Mullingar to Ballymahon to Lanesborough to Strokestown, the advantage of this route having straight roads and quieter towns.

Can I ask anyone with recent experience commuting in the area if there is any reason why I shouldn’t take this alternative route? (eg has the traffic situation in Longford and Edgeworthstown changed substantially in the last year or two).

Thanks In Advance for All Responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

It's probably much of a muchness I'm not sure dont' do that route, but Ballymahon would be busy enough at that time on a friday.
    You dont go through Edgeworthstown anymore it's bypassed. Straight road til longford.
    If your heading for strokestown from Edge and want to avoid driving into Longford town

- once you come to Longford dont go into the town, continue out the Sligo road, so through the 1st roundabout (you'd usually turn off to head into the town) continue through the second roundabout and I think it's the third roundabout first left (beside hombase, argos, mcdonalds)
    so go past homebase through straight on - past the filling station and go right round the mini roundabout this will take you down the road past pearse park and out onto the strokestown road.
    I dont drive they are my best directions :o
    good luck!

Kerash has given you the best route.

Advertisement