Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously slow Sony Vaio...

Options
  • 05-03-2009 6:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey,

I have recently purchase a brand spanking new Sony Vaio FW-21e. I bought it as, judging by the stats, it should have been a very powerful multimedia machine.

However, after using it for nearly 3 months I'm losing my mind! The multimedia apps such as itunes or windows media take years to load, it takes ages (30 seconds) to open my Documents, it struggles to stream videos (while already fully loaded) from sites such as youtube and everything comes to a shuddering hault when I try and run more than 2 apps at a time.

And its not just me being impatient, i had a 4 year old Dell Inspiron which did all the same tasks prefectly.

My Question is does anyone have any idea how i can bump the performance up a bit? I'd be really grateful for any small improvement that anyone can suggest....

The stats are as follows:

Processor: 2.26Ghz Centrino 2
    Ram: 4Mb
    Memory:320Gb
    Graphics: 512Mb

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

Howdy m8

Im assuming these hard drive is filling up? If it is defrag your HD

More likely, look at your tray on the bottom right. Find out whats you dont need. You get alot of photo crap ect with a new machine that has no need to be running. The open your task manager (ctrl-alt-delete) and go to proccess's. Find out which ones are using alot of memory and figure out if you need them running, google can tell what they are.

After you disable them go to START-RUN and type msconfig. Go to bootup tab and uncheck more (or same) apps you dont need.

Make sure have a firewall and anti-virus/spyware

Other than that :rolleyes:

You laptop could just be boned :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Your laptop shouldn't have any problems with those specs, so i can only assume it's struggling with unwanted programs running in the background as Wilko suggested, or you have a lot of malware/viruses, that are slowing you down. Do you have any anti-virus installed? Try the above suggestions and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Mr. Cian wrote: »
    Hey,

I have recently purchase a brand spanking new Sony Vaio FW-21e. I bought it as, judging by the stats, it should have been a very powerful multimedia machine.

However, after using it for nearly 3 months I'm losing my mind! The multimedia apps such as itunes or windows media take years to load, it takes ages (30 seconds) to open my Documents, it struggles to stream videos (while already fully loaded) from sites such as youtube and everything comes to a shuddering hault when I try and run more than 2 apps at a time.

And its not just me being impatient, i had a 4 year old Dell Inspiron which did all the same tasks prefectly.

My Question is does anyone have any idea how i can bump the performance up a bit? I'd be really grateful for any small improvement that anyone can suggest....

The stats are as follows:

Processor: 2.26Ghz Centrino 2
    Ram: 4Mb
    Memory:320Gb
    Graphics: 512Mb

Thank you.

That laptop should not have any prob running what you want. Sounds like you have something nasty running.

Run Hijack this and post in the relevant Hijack this forums to get some more help. Also run a house call from Trend Micro.

Do you have Zone Alarm installed ? That program ( which is great ) has this active scanning feature which I have seen grind laptops to a halt when opening folders with a large amount of docs in it as it goes off and scans each file for nasties..

The problem is DEFO with something running on the box. HiJack this is a great way to find out exactly what it is and the experts on the Hijack this forums will be able to sort you out !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think this forum would be more appropriate. It seems like a virus/malware issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mr. Cian

Wilko121 wrote: »
    Howdy m8

Im assuming these hard drive is filling up? If it is defrag your HD

More likely, look at your tray on the bottom right. Find out whats you dont need. You get alot of photo crap ect with a new machine that has no need to be running. The open your task manager (ctrl-alt-delete) and go to proccess's. Find out which ones are using alot of memory and figure out if you need them running, google can tell what they are.

After you disable them go to START-RUN and type msconfig. Go to bootup tab and uncheck more (or same) apps you dont need.

Make sure have a firewall and anti-virus/spyware

Other than that :rolleyes:

You laptop could just be boned :pac:

:oThanks very much wiklo, that helped slightly but its still not great. I will try some of the other suggestions later today.

One other thing that i wanted to say was that the CPU is running at 100% most of the time, even while i'm only looking at videos or whatever. The other thing that is confusing me is that the fan never seems to run...

Would i be better off running windows XP... Although installing it would be a tough job i'd stop me from tearing me hair out every time i start the computer! :mad:

exact spec can be seen here.....http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Sony-VAIO-Notebook-Fw21e-Core2-d-P8400-4gb-320gb-16-4-tft-Vista-Hprem-SONY-VGNF

As i said, thanks everybody for taking the time to try and help me out, i really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what anti virus programs do you have?

edit: i hope your not running 2 anti -virus programs together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mr. Cian

I have McAfee 8.1.175

I don't have zone alarm so that can't be the problem.

oh and Registry Mechanic says that i have 267 Errors, these are mostly in HIKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\APPNAME. They're mostly in the sony corporation and windows folders. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr. Cian wrote: »
    I have McAfee 8.1.175

I don't have zone alarm so that can't be the problem.

oh and Registry Mechanic says that i have 267 Errors, these are mostly in HIKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\APPNAME. They're mostly in the sony corporation and windows folders. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks.

theres 1 problem anyway

unistall McAfee and install avg and zonealarm

McAfee is crap, slows down the computer alot

Advertisement