Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting qualifications approved

Options
  • 04-03-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a bit confused about getting my qualifications approved. I'm studying for a literature masters and I want to do a HDip next year so I can teach English, business and French at post-primary level. The problem is that my undergraduate degree is in business and French. I really want to teach English (along with business and French) but I'm not sure if my literature MA will qualify me to do this. I think I need to apply to the teaching council, but is it worth applying and paying the €200, or is it very unlikely that my qualification will be approved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

DaisyPem wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a bit confused about getting my qualifications approved. I'm studying for a literature masters and I want to do a HDip next year so I can teach English, business and French at post-primary level. The problem is that my undergraduate degree is in business and French. I really want to teach English (along with business and French) but I'm not sure if my literature MA will qualify me to do this. I think I need to apply to the teaching council, but is it worth applying and paying the €200, or is it very unlikely that my qualification will be approved?

The requirements as stated below are clear and explicit, so it would appear that you are wasting your €200. However, it does say "primary degree studies (or equivalent)" so you could maybe try to argue your case on that basis, but it would be a remarkable Masters that would cover in one year what it takes three years to cover in an undergraduate degree, or I suppose "half" a degree in the case of Arts omnibus.

What literature does your Masters cover? Do you have a choice of what you want to work on, or is it French and English literature? I am just surprised if you got into an English literature Masters without having studied the subject to degree level as an undergrad.

REQUIREMENTS FOR RECOGNITION AS A SUBJECT TEACHER
    In order to be registered as a teacher, the following requirements must be satisfied and approved by the
    Teaching Council:

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RECOGNITION TO TEACH ENGLISH
    (In Addition to the General Requirements)

Applicants must provide officially certified evidence of satisfactory achievement in primary degree studies (or
    equivalent) as outlined hereunder:
    _ The study of English as a major subject in the degree extending over at least three years and of the
    order of 30% at a minimum of that period
    _ Details of the degree course content to show that knowledge and understanding required to teach
    English to the highest level in post-primary education has been acquired
    _ The study of a substantial body of relevant literature as an integral part of the degree course including
    comprehensive study through the medium of English of any three of the following:
    – Drama or Theatre Studies
    – Poetry
    – Fiction
    – Media Studies or Communications or Film Studies
    _ The list of texts and authors studied by the applicant throughout the degree course must be provided
    in support of the above
    _ Residential experience of at least three months in a country in which English is the vernacular
    _ Explicit details of standards achieved in degree studies in English must be presented with at least an
    overall Pass result in the examinations in English
    Additional information (i) where greater clarity is requested or (ii) which would otherwise more fully support the
    application must be provided as required.

Advertisement