Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Air Corp to RAF

Options
  • 04-03-2009 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Does anybody know if the RAF recruit Air Corp pilots? I heard that they used to, but i was wondering do they still do it?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

certainly not directly, but more importantly the rules have changed somewhat - RoI citizens can no longer join the RAF as pilots/navigators, though as ground branch officers no problem (you can join the AAC as to be an AH-64/Lynx/defender pilot, and i've no idea about the RN, but they are all but out of the fast jet business)

RoI citizens may be able to join as SNCO aircrew - loadmasters, and AWACS/Nimrod 'back office' crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Irwinboy

Do the Air Corp still train with the RAF?
    I watched a programme on TV where the Air Corp were in England training with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Irwinboy wrote: »
    Do the Air Corp still train with the RAF?
    I watched a programme on TV where the Air Corp were in England training with them.

That is possible, I know a former PDF Sergeant who went on a Battle Sergeants course in Sandhurst. So I know there are some lads sent over. I don't know about Aer Corps - RAF though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

RoI citizens may be able to join as SNCO aircrew - loadmasters, and AWACS/Nimrod 'back office' crew.

'Fraid not, all aircrew jobs have the same citizenship requirements as pilots. In fact, if anything the security issue is higher with some of the back office jobs in the AWACs and Nimrod aircraft particularly the R1 version of the Nimrod.

I remember the Air Corps used to train alongside the SAR squadrons but the Air Corps don't do SAR anymore. First time I saw a Wessex helicopter it was in formation with an Alouette III. The big yellow bird looked huge alongside the little Alouette.

The RAF has been known to take former pilots from other air forces. When the Aussies disbanded their naval wing some of their pilots ended up in the RAF. But they were already fast jet pilots. I could not see a former Cessna pilot from the Air Corps being a desirable catch for them.;)

Despite the citizenship requirements. I have a suspicion that a couple of years exemplary service in some ground job might just open doors to a potential aircrew postion. The RAF are quite flexible in that way. It would be a huge gamble though.

On the RAf website it says that you can enlist and do most jobs apart from some which are high security...or something like that. Can Irish join the Army Air Corp in Britain as pilots?

• Advertisement

To be honest mate, you might get more definite answers on Arrse. They are dead on with this sort of thing!

I'll have a look so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

To be honest mate, you might get more definite answers on Arrse. They are dead on with this sort of thing!

very true - though of course they may ask why anyone wouuld want to join a service whose officers are called kevin and wear man-made fibres and grey slip-ons!

Irwinboy: Yes, RoI citizens can join the AAC.

its a very odd decision - the RAF has a number of joint RAF/Army operated platforms that are very much on the 'delicate' side of modern ISTAR operations, one supposes that in theory at least, the two services could have different citizenship/security requirements for two 'secret squirrels' sat alongside each other and doing the same job.

who would of believed it: "RAF in 'arrse and elbow' shock"?

I know this isnt the forum for this topic, but does anyone know the entry requirements into the army air corps if you had asthma when you were younger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I know this isnt the forum for this topic, but does anyone know the entry requirements into the army air corps if you had asthma when you were younger?

A general rule it is ok if you have not been treated in the past 4 years. It is much stricter for pilot entry though but it should be ok for ground crew.

BTW - There are a number of routes to be a AAC pilot. If you go in through the ranks (serve as ground crew for a few years) or as a officer but often the easiest way is through another CORPS and apply to be a pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

For the RAF E-Goat is what you need.
    its a very odd decision - the RAF has a number of joint RAF/Army operated platforms that are very much on the 'delicate' side of modern ISTAR operations, one supposes that in theory at least, the two services could have different citizenship/security requirements for two 'secret squirrels' sat alongside each other and doing the same job.

who would of believed it: "RAF in 'arrse and elbow' shock"?

Having said that, Fleet Air Arm is citizens only as well afaik.

The British Army Air Corps is probably as tough to become a pilot in as getting into the Irish Air Corps. Given that you have to compete with everyone in the BA who fancies a go. They do take NCO and Warrant Officer pilots though which is a lot more than the IAC will ever do after what happened last time.

Irwinboy, if you fancy a career as a military pilot your options are pretty limited. Basically the IAC which is akin to winning the lottery. If not the British version is possible but only just.

What I was thinking of doing is applying for the IAC cadetship. If I dont get that I will apply to the British Army and try to join their Air Corp as an officer. If I dont get a position as an officer, I'll join as an Air Corp soldier and apply for the position as pilot when I make Corporal.

Thats my future pretty much sumed up there!:cool:

What I was thinking of doing is applying for the IAC cadetship. If I dont get that I will apply to the British Army and try to join their Air Corp as an officer. If I dont get a position as an officer, I'll join as an Air Corp soldier and apply for the position as pilot when I make Corporal.

Thats my future pretty much sumed up there!:cool:

IAC are not recruiting for Cadetships this year, again.

I know there not, But I wont be applying for a year or 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

The British Army Air Corps is probably as tough to become a pilot in as getting into the Irish Air Corps. Given that you have to compete with everyone in the BA who fancies a go. They do take NCO and Warrant Officer pilots though which is a lot more than the IAC will ever do after what happened last time.

Irwinboy, if you fancy a career as a military pilot your options are pretty limited. Basically the IAC which is akin to winning the lottery. If not the British version is possible but only just.

The Army Air Corps has also gotten "sexier" recently with various Apache pilots publishing their accounts of flying around and blowing things to hell in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Regarding the aircorps

in 2007 there were 5 cadetships awarded for the aircorps. Some 304 Applied with 89 making it to the first round interview and 35 in the final interview who were whittled down to the final 5. In 2006 there were somewhere around the 250 initial applications and 10 cadetships awarded.

Gives you an idea of the odds involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

neilled wrote: »

in 2007 there were 5 cadetships awarded for the aircorps. Some 304 Applied with 89 making it to the first round interview and 35 in the final interview who were whittled down to the final 5. In 2006 there were somewhere around the 250 initial applications and 10 cadetships awarded.

Gives you an idea of the odds involved.

ALSO a great idea of how much interest there is in the IAC.

But out of 300 applicants, about 100 are just in it for the free education.

Im going getting flying lessons soon so they know I have an interest in it!

But out of 300 applicants, about 100 are just in it for the free education.

Im going getting flying lessons soon so they know I have an interest in it!

We basically have free Education anyway, alot of lads get flying lesson's too.

Not trying to put you off though!!! I hope you are studying your Arse off,(Assuming you are still in school!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I hope you are studying your Arse off,(Assuming you are still in school!!!)

Thats the mistake I made,not studying hard enough:(

Aa well,I suppose I will have to slum it with the general enlisted;):D

• Advertisement

5 cadetships awarded for the aircorps.
    Most likely at least two will washout. All this means that there are more lottery millionaires each year than Air Corps cadets.

304 applications seems low. I seem to remember they were in the thousands when I was young enough to apply. I imagine the downturn will see those numbers again soon.

Irwinboy, I would suggest that if you want to be a pilot first and foremost then a military career is the most difficult to achieve, for Irish people anyway. You'd be better off looking at becoming a civilian pilot. Having said that, even that is increasingly difficult and frankly no longer worth the effort and expense in my opinion and that of many pilots.

But if you want a military career around aircraft with a possible stint as NCO aircrew, well either Air Corps should fit the bill.

Well all i ever wanted to do was be a military pilot, so I'll try that first. I dont want to be a commercial pilot. It would be $hite!

I dont want to be a commercial pilot. It would be $hite!

Ah the young and naive:rolleyes: Well, I am a commercial pilot and it's far from that.
    I can understand your attitude. All I ever wanted to be was a military pilot. But being born in the wrong country at the wrong time in history like you, it was never going to happen. So don't put all your eggs in the one cockpit.

There are worse fates than flying civilian aircraft, believe me. Some of my former jobs would make you suicidal. It's worth pointing out that most military pilots end up commercial anyway because the military life has it's limitations and negatives sometimes begin to outweigh the positives.

Well I'll persue the dream, and if that don't work ,I'll be a soldier!:rolleyes:

Ah the young and naive:rolleyes: Well, I am a commercial pilot and it's far from that.
    I can understand your attitude. All I ever wanted to be was a military pilot. But being born in the wrong country at the wrong time in history like you, it was never going to happen. So don't put all your eggs in the one cockpit.

There are worse fates than flying civilian aircraft, believe me. Some of my former jobs would make you suicidal. It's worth pointing out that most military pilots end up commercial anyway because the military life has it's limitations and negatives sometimes begin to outweigh the positives.

And on the upside, if you get suicidal when flying you can take alot of people with you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

And on the upside, if you get suicidal when flying you can take alot of people with you!:D

Or you could be a hero like to Hudson river pilot,he was ex-Airforce!

When you hear about all them plane troubles the pilot is usually ex-military.

does anybody know what the pass rate in the army air corp is?...Like how many dont get thier wings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

does anybody know what the pass rate in the army air corp is?...Like how many dont get thier wings?

Its very high, of two intakes that I know very well only 15% and 20% got their helo pilot wings. When you factor in the the whole process then it must be as low 2% of all the applicants.

I don't know how many started but three got their wings in 2007 and two the year before. Don't know about 2008. A pretty exclusive club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Irish Tempest

Hi,

First post guys... be gentle.

Wrt citzenship enquiry. Its something that is being actively looked at in senior circles about changing - no timecale.

This was not something the British Government foisted upon the humble recruiters, but rather post 9/11 or 11/9 the yanks decided anyone that would have access to Secret Uk/US eyes only documents would have to be a true Brit passport member of society. Fine if you are born in NI.. not so if born in the ROI. However there are waivers dependant on whether you have any patronage from north of the border or across the water.

In the Fleet Air Arm you will find plenty of pilots/ observers with Irish lilts but they got in before the rules changed. If you somehow become a naturalised citizen of the UK you should be ok.

Rgds,

IT:)

Advertisement