Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Simple Question

Options
  • 04-03-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Im sure there's an easy solution,

Every time i run a video through either wmp or vlc or real or anything, and put it in fullscreen, the video slows down a lot. Becomes choppy and bad quality.

In smaller windows they're fine.

Do i need to tweek my video system settings or what.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

whats the basic spec of system ? and os ?

any heat issues????

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Spuca

sry, dell dimension e520, windows xp, nothing to do with overheating or any other problems.

I had a blast of windows updates recently and they seem to be causing problems in all sorts of places. Maybe something to do with that??

Is there someway of checking my settings are at their highest with regards to video/audio etc....?

Games put onto fullscreen slow down completley aswell.

Serious help needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Sounds like it could be your ram, how much do you have?

.99gb.

Think this is enough isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

you should really have minimum 2.00 gigs..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try running in lower resolution or reducing the colour depth to see how big you can go before problem

RAM should not be a problem on short clips , use procexp or taskmgr to see how much ram is free , XP will get by on 256 MB so you should have a fair bit left unless you have a lot of crap in the background

in preferences tick advanced , what do you have for video output module ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭CHW

An E520 should be beefy enough for playing videos. Is it using onboard graphics or separate card? I recently began using KMPlayer, andI don't *think* it's as resource hungry as VLC for example - might be worth trying. Also, installing codec packs like ffdshow might improve things (I'm not really expert in this area, so don't know for sure, but I have them installed on my PC, and it's much less capable than yours, processor wise, but it has no problem playing any video, even H.264/MPEG-4 DTT through a USB device).

cheers, ill give em a shot and see what happens.

Thing is i never had the problem, then turned it on one morning after watching stuff on it the night before and now its here.

F*king computers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just out of interest, are the video card drivers installed/up to date? Without adequate drivers you will expirience these issiues possibly, try upgrading video card drivers and see what happens :)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Heatsink fan on the gfx card still working?

yoyo wrote: »
    Just out of interest, are the video card drivers installed/up to date? Without adequate drivers you will expirience these issiues possibly, try upgrading video card drivers and see what happens :)

Nick

Drivers all uptodate allready.

Advertisement