Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying for Schols? Studying tips

Options
  • 04-03-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

Soo loads of people are studying for their schols, and this applies to anyone who is studying in the library...especially the Hamilton:

BRING YOUR STUFF WITH YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE

It's so annoying going into the library and trying to find a seat when half the spaces have been 'reserved' by people who left their books behind while they went off somewhere. Especially at lunch time today,I was in and out in an hour (luckily found a seat) and the majority of the books and copies left behind were left untouched from the time I went into the library until the time I left.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

what about those who smoke/need a break? Not everyone can survive chained to their desk all day for fear of losing it. However, in times of high seat demand, it's not ok to leave your stuff around and go to a lecture/lunch, fair enough.

Eh, is the 15 minute rule still in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Dónal wrote: »
    Eh, is the 15 minute rule still in place?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

Yea if there is a shortage of seats then its pretty annoying, but otherwise its ok I think. I leave most of my stuff there when I go to lectures. If I knew someone wanted my seat though, I wouldnt though. I think plugs are really hard to find (unless you want to go to the ussher) and its annoying when someone plugs their laptop in for the entire day even though it really doesnt need that much charging. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

+1 on the 15minute rule, "Readers are not permitted to reserve seats by leaving their belongings or books on seats and desks. The Library staff may move any property left at unoccupied desks or seats for more than 15 minutes except for officially reserved seats and carrels."

Around exam times I just sit down anywhere and clear the desk after 15 minutes. Half the time I'm gone before the person returns.

Actually, reading the regulation again, am I allowed do that? Do I have to ask a member of staff to clear the desk for me??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

There's no harm in asking them to do so anyway. I mean, i'm unsure if you'll be indemnified if any damage was done to their property, even if it wasn't your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Exactly how is forfeiting my desk in the library to some airheads who just down and have a "convo" about how wasted they were in Citibar the previous weekend, or talk on their phone, or sleep going to get me a scholarship? I work damn hard, and sometimes piss off for an hour to grab lunch and clear my head.

Library staff should be allowed to clear people who are just taking up space too.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I have to get this off my conscience, I'm so sorry!

Today I left the library for a C++ practical that should have taken half an hour, an hour tops. I tidied my stuff together so it was in one pile taking only half a table and easy to move if necessary. So when I got to the practical it turned out I misunderstood parts of what we were required to do so it took ages! I returned to my seat almost two hours after I left. So yeah, sorry guys, I now feel like a hypocrite for always being peeved at the empty seats with full tables littering the library. It can happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

obl wrote: »
    Exactly how is forfeiting my desk in the library to some airheads who just down and have a "convo" about how wasted they were in Citibar the previous weekend, or talk on their phone, or sleep going to get me a scholarship? I work damn hard, and sometimes piss off for an hour to grab lunch and clear my head.

And why is it so hard to take your stuff with you when you "piss off"? if it's such a bother carrying your stuff around I'll let you use my locker if you want :rolleyes:

I go to the library on my own, and I've never talked on my phone in the library or slept. On the occasion that I see a friend there I say hi to them and then don't talk to them again unless it's a "alright see ya" or "I'm going, talk to you later".

You're not the only one in the college who's trying to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Mark200 wrote: »
    And why is it so hard to take your stuff with you when you "piss off"? if it's such a bother carrying your stuff around I'll let you use my locker if you want :rolleyes:

I go to the library on my own, and I've never talked on my phone in the library or slept. On the occasion that I see a friend there I say hi to them and then don't talk to them again unless it's a "alright see ya" or "I'm going, talk to you later".

You're not the only one in the college who's trying to learn.

Wasn't directed at you. Sorry if that's how it came across.

It just pisses me off when I come back and all the seats are taken up by, well, you know the type. I promise not to do it once schols is over. essentially after tomorrow it'll concern very few people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

At the moment I dont really see what the problem is..
    I've been in the library on a daily basis studying away for schols. Not once have I had trouble finding a seet. Infact, I almost always sit in the same seet.
    I havnt had to share a desk with anyone either..

When the library gets very busy coming up to the annual exams, and there are two per desk and no empty spaces around, then I do see a problem, but for now I dont think it really matters....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The funny thing is, even close to exam time I don't think I ever had a hard time finding a seat in the ussher. Ever - over the course of the 2-3 years when i started regularly going there to study.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

mathew wrote: »
    same seet

You might know Bernoulli and Kirchhoff inside out but you can't spell :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You might know Bernoulli and Kirchhoff inside out but you can't spell :P

haha... woops :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

devinejay wrote: »
    I have to get this off my conscience, I'm so sorry!

Today I left the library for a C++ practical that should have taken half an hour, an hour tops. I tidied my stuff together so it was in one pile taking only half a table and easy to move if necessary. So when I got to the practical it turned out I misunderstood parts of what we were required to do so it took ages! I returned to my seat almost two hours after I left. So yeah, sorry guys, I now feel like a hypocrite for always being peeved at the empty seats with full tables littering the library. It can happen!

Try this: Showed up ready to rattle off Practical 16 in about ten minutes; we were doing Practical 15.

/facepalm

Baza210 wrote: »
    Try this: Showed up ready to rattle off Practical 16 in about ten minutes; we were doing Practical 15.

/facepalm

Engineers;
    Mad C++ skillz, shame about the organization skills(z?)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

devinejay wrote: »
    Engineers;
    Mad C++ skillz, shame about the organization skills(z?)
    Next year you will realise you know sweet fa about C++.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Next year you will realise you know sweet fa about C++.

Well in fairness claiming you have "mad skillz" in anything hardly constitutes actually being skilled. They're kinda mutually exclusive strangely enough.:rolleyes:

Advertisement