Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple's wanted near Grafton St.

Options
  • 04-03-2009 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am a photographer and I would like some volunteers.
    I am doing a street photography project called 'couples'.

With this project I aim to explore the different types of couples and how they interact with each other in public. I am aware that most people will not volunteer to pose for a photograph, so this is where the idea of telling people what I will do came in.

I am going to offer you the chance of getting the images for yourselves after the day of shooting. I will load the images on flickr and have business cards with my flickr address on it for you.

So all I am really asking is, if you are attached, and in Dublin around Grafton St. /South William St. /Temple Bar on Sat 7th-Sun 8th March 09 with your significant other, keep an eye out for me, and please don't forget to mention you saw it here. I'll be chuffed to see if this idea works :)

Lx

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

[stalker voice]I think I know who you are....[/stalker voice]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Street Photography is all about the spontaneous. Posed street photography, no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lalooon

Call it what you will then. No need to be like that.

And mele... you do indeed know me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Covey wrote: »
    Street Photography is all about the spontaneous. Posed street photography, no thanks.

Thinks it's more street portraiture than street photography?

So people knowing this will be on the look out for someone with a camera.

Instead of just seeing a photographer and assuming they're a tourist taking building pictures or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭nilhg

I used to think that, until I read the story of Doisneau's Le baiser de l'hôtel de ville, in Amateur Photography the other week ( the short version is on his wikipedia page).

Maybe it's a sign of a great photographer that his posed shots look natural.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Not only that shot John.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Street Photography is all about the spontaneous.

i disagree... just because it isnt sponantious doesnt mean it not street photography.... outlandish statement altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

lalooon wrote: »
    I am a photographer and I would like some volunteers.
    I am doing a street photography project called 'couples'.

With this project I aim to explore the different types of couples and how they interact with each other in public. I am aware that most people will not volunteer to pose for a photograph, so this is where the idea of telling people what I will do came in.

I am going to offer you the chance of getting the images for yourselves after the day of shooting. I will load the images on flickr and have business cards with my flickr address on it for you.

So all I am really asking is, if you are attached, and in Dublin around Grafton St. /South William St. /Temple Bar on Sat 7th-Sun 8th March 09 with your significant other, keep an eye out for me, and please don't forget to mention you saw it here. I'll be chuffed to see if this idea works :)

Lx

As far as I know most photographers dislike being photographed.

and I don't live in dublin

and a don't have a girl friend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

lalooon wrote: »

Lx

have you seen the amount of people who walk around there with cameras these days???:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sheesh wrote: »
    As far as I know most photographers dislike being photographed.

Out of curiosity this is something I actually tend to ask alot of photographers when I meet them, so far I don't think I've met more then one or two who like getting their photo taken.

Bottom line, this forum may not be the best place to look for people for such a photo :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Myself and herself are just as comfortable in front of the camera as behind it....not sure about those dates though....if we are about town we will keep an eye out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Robert Doisneau, Kiss by the Hotel - posed and looks good. (big scandal re: model release and money etc too - have a google for it)

Sounds like a good project.

As someone said - maybe not the best forum to ask in. Give it a try in the relationships one (or similar). You'll probably get a good response.

Slap a tshirt with 'couples project' on yourself - or describe your appearance might help. Or a rose in yer button hole - whatever.
    Change your phone's bluetooth tag to 'couplesproj' might be a clever idea too. People could find you in-range - very high tech!

Good luck and look forward to seeing the results.
    Might bump into you if I'm in town that day.
    You might think of gathering your subjects' emails too in case you want to convince them to sign a release at a later stage.

Them's my 2 cents and hope they are of help.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think it's a great idea. I love to hear or know about a good thought out project. But if you tried another forum such as fashion/teenage/nocturn you may get a good healthy response from willing folk. That's where I'd look anyway. Or I'd just ask couples on the street (that's not spontaneous either but then spontaneity is a tad over-rated and more hit and miss imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lalooon

Thanks for the positive responses you guys, It was quite successful if I say so myself.

When I approached people I told them that I would put the pics on flickr so that they could get the images at the end of the day. I thought they would wanna check them out so I gave them a slip with my flickr name on it. I also got them all to sign release forms to avoid any sort of confusion later.

check 'em out if ya wanna:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lorna-jane/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi laloon thanks for sharing and you seem to be quite good at getting your subjects to feel at ease but I only like one or two of the shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

I'm not sure about these - is there a theme to them - or is it just couples?

Also, did you need a licence to shoot in St Stephens Green?

I've done a couple of commercial shoots there and needed to get a licence to shoot.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I'm not sure about these - is there a theme to them - or is it just couples?

Also, did you need a licence to shoot in St Stephens Green?

I've done a couple of commercial shoots there and needed to get a licence to shoot.

Paul

AFAIK you ONLY need licence for commercial work - but it has been reported here before about park rangers hunting non commercial photographers off the green when their cameras look too professional. :eek: I remember something about a charity shoot that was spoiled there at one stage being reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Cabaal wrote: »
    Out of curiosity this is something I actually tend to ask alot of photographers when I meet them, so far I don't think I've met more then one or two who like getting their photo taken.

'tis the photographer's curse (even for an amateur photographer like me..). I'm the only person I know whose photography I'd actually be satisfied with :P

Advertisement