Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVidia driver meesed up my laptop

Options
  • 04-03-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Ok here the run down.

I have a HP lapto, 2 years old.Came with Vista which I hated and couldnt be down graded so when W 7 came out I upgraded to that.

Everything was working fine until last night when the screen foze and after a min a Windows message popped up saying the Nvidia driver had a problem.

Again today the same issue so I said I try updating the diver.

It began downloading the driver so I left it but when I came back the screen was black but with a slit lighter black bar across the top.

After a reboot you dont even get the BIOS screen, simle black screen with a white bar across the top which eventually goes black.

I ve tried hooking the HDMI output and VGA output to my TV but no luck so will try a monitor in work tomorrow but can anyone think of a way of fixing this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Have you tried booting in safe mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Cant even do that from the second it is powered on the screen is blank, no BIOS message. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Might be a dead GPU... seriously. If you're getting nothing at all to the screen it's probably gone pop. Only way to fix it is a new motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

crap
    Mother board for a lapto, say thats expensive.

Had to replace a hard disk last week.

This must be all happening due to the fall it got 3 weeks ago.

Seemed fine after but obviusly slowly things are going.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Unfortunately a certain range of Nvidia GPUs have overheating issiues, It sounds to me if the machine is crashing before even loading, and white lines appearing in the BIOs, the GPU needs replacing... Which in laptops will require a new motherboard mostly, see if its under warrenty as I know some manufacturers i.e dell may support GPU overheating issiues after the 1 year

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement