Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio System help ! ! !

Options
  • 04-03-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Basically I don't have a clue about any of this stuff, but I am good with my hands so I am sure I can sort this out if it is possible. Basically I have two of these speakers :

[IMG][/img]31453AF4C5364F95A9E3E459064F4F7E-800.jpg

And I want to hook them up to with this:

[IMG][/img]818CD248B946420BAA0C6587DD0FAA86-800.jpg

To replace two of these small speakers:

[IMG][/img]BA8D7C4C5EFE4BE698B1E58002F5D509-800.jpg

However the wire that comes out the back of the new speakers I want to hook up looks like this:

[IMG][/img]89085D86CE8B42A1AB67D1058118D58C-800.jpg

Close up:

[IMG][/img]8812B734E6334AAEB88D09A7994F93D1-800.jpg

The wire is red and black, running beside each other (IN CASE YOU NEED TO KNOW THAT):

[IMG][/img]DB3A798C27AB478F83FC55A0C327025D-800.jpg

The back of the unit that I want to hook the speaker into looks like this:

[IMG][/img]59A731E0CDFB4BE59232CF8F6EA96079-800.jpg

And the wire that currently runs into the red and white sockets looks like this:

[IMG][/img]3F700B03FB234E9785ACF8FA2B55D490-800.jpg

So would it be possible to do this, or would it be possible to just add something to the end of the wires of the new speakers so they could just hook straight into an audio out port??? (If that's what its called)

The two speakers come from a system that is now broke, but the speakers are fine. I am basically just asking what do I need to buy to do the or is it possible and how would I do it if it was.

I just thought the best way to explain this would be through pictures.

Thanks for any help,
    mcgowaner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭Homer

You can buy phono connectors as seen in the last picture in your post from the likes of Maplins or Peats and you then need to solder the positive and negative of each cable to the phono connector and it will work for you?

I don't quite understand why you want to do that though?

The sub woofer that you show in the picture is designed by the manufacturer to power the two small satellite speakers supplied with it.

By adding different speakers by a different manufacturer there is no guarantee it will necessarily sound better?

Just my 0.2c!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Homer wrote: »
    You can buy phono connectors as seen in the last picture in your post from the likes of Maplins or Peats and you then need to solder the positive and negative of each cable to the phono connector and it will work for you?

I don't quite understand why you want to do that though?

The sub woofer that you show in the picture is designed by the manufacturer to power the two small satellite speakers supplied with it.

By adding different speakers by a different manufacturer there is no guarantee it will necessarily sound better?

Just my 0.2c!

Oh right so it is possible to buy something like this then, thanks a million for that.

So there's a possibility that it might not sound better at all, that's fair enough, so would it be possible to just make it into another set of speakers for me by just somehow making it so I could just plug them straight into the laptop, tv or cd player???

Thanks Homer for that comment by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭Homer

I'm only going by the picture but they look like satellite speakers from the picture you posted, which means that they are designed to be used in conjunction with a subwoofer.

The sub handles all the low frequencies and the satellites handle the high frequencies.

If you try just plugging them directly to a stereo or laptop etc as they are (with a suitable connection) you would be sending a full range signal to those speakers and would undoubtedly damage the speakers or blow the cones inside.

Thats just my opinion based on what I can see in the picture and the fact that as far as I am aware samsung do not do stand alone full range speakers.

Homer.

The original system that they were attached to didn't have a sub (if im correct), it was just the two speakers and a big radio/cd player.

They are old like, but I can't just hrow them out.

This is the sticker on the back of them:

[IMG][/img]C4A00AF295FE49869205FEE703EAD236-800.jpg

Thanks for all this help homer by the way;)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

In a word : NO
    your speakers are used to work with a Tv/hi-fi/amp but more than likely an Hi-Fi.
    Rca connectors / phono are very rough to connect because those outputs can range from 10-75 Ohms (Ω) and are unbalanced.

Sorry.
    >Sol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 bio

mcgowaner are you planning on using the Samsungs as computer speakers?

Well my original question wa could I counnect it to the existing sub, but I understnad that may not work out too well, so I have a radio/CD player wit RCA input, ould it be possible to put them in there????

Or as bio is asking, could I connect it into my computer, using an audio connector???

Or does anyone think the original idea or hooking them up through an RCA connector into the existing sub would be the best bet???

Thanks for all the help here

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bio

The RCA input on your radio/cd is really for another hifi type component to be connected and it has other conectors just for speakers. You can try the sub there(at your own risk) as I suppose it kind of has its own amp but as I see it Homer and akaSol are correct only the small satellite speakers will work with the sub. So you will be replacing good big speakers with tiny computer speakers(a good downgrade!). However deep bass sounds are produced by physically larger speakers just like musical instruments or even human beings! So the sub is not required with the Samsung speakers which appear to be bigger than it. If you want to control the volume via the control on the sub you are using the sub as an amp and you need to connect the Samsungs to a separate amp.
    You can use the Samsungs with your computer in this way by connecting an amp to the computer with a cable with 2 RCA connectors on one end and the small pin connector on the other. These can be bought in most electrical outlets. Don't forget you would have to switch on the amp when you switch on the computer to get any sound.
    You can connect the amp to anything with the correct connectors: TV, laptop, cd etc. but you shouldn't need the small sub when using bigger speakers.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

mcgowaner wrote: »
    Or does anyone think the original idea or hooking them up through an RCA connector into the existing sub would be the best bet???

Thanks for all the help here

You won't do any damage by trying it but there may not be any improvement in audio quality. If the audio outputs on the Typhoon sub is filtered so only high frequencies are sent to the satellite speakers, then the Samsungs aren't going to sound much better.

Advertisement