Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hills Prescription Diet Feline RD vs Hills Science Plan Light

Options
  • 04-03-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Hi there! Owner Staff of a MASSIVE cat. His target weight is around 14 lbs (6.4 kg) according to his vet, and he's there now after coming down from 18 lbs (8.2 kg)

He's done very well on Hills Prescription Diet Feline RD and is now maintaining his target weight eating 3/4 c of food per day, 1/4 c at a time morning afternoon and night. However, because money is tight, I'm hoping to move to Hill's Science Plan Light - it would save us 40% off the cost of his food! We've massively cut our own food budget due to the recession (and my unemployment) so it's not us forcing the kitty to take a hit while we dine on filet steaks.

So, what is Hill's Science Plan Light like in comparison to their Prescription Diet? Basically same quality? What about Ash content and so on?

1922479731_0ff445a03c.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I don't know if this will help but follow this link http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/cats_2_3097.html?brand_id_filter=2331 and you can get 2kg Hills Prescription Diet Feline R/d for £14.02, delivery regardless of how much you order is £7.49 so you could buy 6kg for about €57 I've ordered human medicines from the site and received it no problem, I know of people who've bought dog food from it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, it's cheaper to buy prescription diet at my vet's office than on that website, but thanks anyway.

Hill's Science Plan Light is 40% cheaper per kg on zooplus.ie and delivery is free with orders above 49 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SharonStokes

Hi Xiney,

lol re "Owner Staff of a MASSIVE cat."

I feel like that too sometimes! My cat is much the same, and still nowhere near his target weight. I have him on presc diet m/d which is like the atkins diet for cats :-) My vets have an online shop so i get it from them if u want to try them: www.caravetgroup.com ph: 885 3253!

The main difference is Prescription Diet is like a weight reduction program, so if they need to lose weight, they need Presc Diet. Science plan is for when they reach their ideal weight, which is the stage u say ur monster is at, so I reckon give the Science Plan Light a go!

I don't know re amount of ash content in science plan, but i checked my bag of presc diet md and it's 5% if thats any help...

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

:confused:
    Sorry for barging in but I've always wondered what is "Ash" in cat food? I don't know if its a good thing like Taurine, or if it really is ash?!!
    Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

There actually is quite a difference in the calorie content between the light and r/d because light really doesnt have that much less calories than the normal or adult food.
    The r/d is a very high fibre diet with a lot less calories than regular and light diets to aid with effective weight loss, your cat is more likely to put on weight if he/she eats light food in comparison to r/d and all your hard work (and money you have spent on r/d) will be a waste.... so unfortunately the r/d is the way to go if you want your pet to lose weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Guys I have a good half bag so around 2k of Feline R/D if anybody wants it. My cat was pts at start of the month :( and it's a waste to throw the food away. I based in Drumcondra/Glasnevin and could meet in Omni or Tesco Clearwater if anybody wants to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Wow he is a massive and gorgeous cat!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

I have him on presc diet m/d which is like the atkins diet for cats :-) ...

The Catkins Diet LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gilldal

Been looking for a cheaper place to purchase the rd canine <snip> I also joined the Hill's Science Plan website and got a voucher first which has been a great help.

The rd apparently has more fibre content in it than the science light we had our dog on that to start with as it was a bit cheaper and he lost weight but at a slower rate but according to my vet the light is what they recommend once your pet is at there ideal weight to keep them on track.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Advertisement