Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Project

Options
  • 04-03-2009 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello,

Apologies for crashing your forum but I was hoping somebody here may be able to help me out. I'm doing a photojournalistic essay for college (BA in Photography) and was hoping to do so on the practice of Paganism or Wicca in Ireland. I initially thought I'd have no chance but I saw that programme on Barbara Lee the other night and realised that there may be a chance I could bring my camera to ceremonies and the like.

Is there anybody here that would be willing to talk to me about their beliefs and have there photos taken, and would it be possible to tag along at any meetings/ceremonies? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, pm me if you need anymore information.

Thanks,

Niall

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

There's a lot of different groups that do different rituals, who will differ on how much they may welcome you.

The indoors ritual in the TV show you mentioned were the Fellowship of Isis. They're a relatively open group, so you may do well to try contacting them at:

Fellowship of Isis
    Clonegal Castle
    Enniscorthy, Eire

The outdoors ritual was taken from footage from a previous television show of a group who don't as often do anything public (and as it was, it was altered for the cameras, rather than the same as they would do things in private).

Apart from that there are plenty of other groups. Some Druid ceremonies are relatively open, so if you contact them you might have a lead. Try contacting the people at www.druidschool.com since some of their ceremonies of late is related to political activism about Tara, they would perhaps be welcoming of publicity that would include highlighting that issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

Thanks Talliesin that's a great help. I had considered contacting the fellowship of Isis but they don't receive e-mail and I'm afraid it may leave me stuck for time. I'll check out the Druid School website something good may come from that, I had considered doing something on the Tara Skreen valley as well for this project so that could tie in nicely.

Whatever I do if I get permission to put the photos up on my website when it's finished I'll send a link to it so people can see it.

Are people generally wary of press interest in Paganism or do they welcome the publicity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A Lot of people are generally wary as they are private about their beliefs and there may
    be people in thier life which do not know they are pagan or they may have children
    so they may well be in the broom closet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

Thanks Thaedydal, I can understand people might be a bit wary, unfortunately the ghost of crappy sensationalist journalists precedes us poor students. I contacted the Druid School as advised, haven't heard back but I think there's a ceremony tonight at Tara so I'll go up and see if some people will talk to me, it's worth a shot. I also found a place in D1 that holds regular moots in the Sticky above so I'm going to speak to them tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, I'll put a link to my website here if it works out well and I get permissions etc., although it may turn into something completely different - it was originally supposed to be about skateboarders!

Advertisement