Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I dispose of ...

Options
  • 04-03-2009 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

...things I've had laying around the house for years? I have Depression and go through phases of not throwing things out, then when I'm "lucid" I have to get rid of the festering mess. I currently have a lot of toiletries (bought on BOGOF offers and not used) hair dyes (I became allergic), and a pile of stuff relations left when they stayed here, or things the previous occupants of the house left behind.

I can take any medical stuff to the chemist in the DUMP scheme, but what do I do with the other things? Is it 'safe' to use something that was opened 18 months ago and not used much? Shampoo, showergels and the like?

Also I've a load of jars of foodstuffs in the fridge that are going off, I throw some stuff out to the birds/wildlife, what about other things, like liquids? Is it OK to pour them down the sink?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I pour gone-off liquid food down the toilet.

I don't know about recycling cosmetics - you might ask on the http://beaut.ie forum - they know everything about 'beauty' products over there.

Good luck with the clean-up - there's nothing better for a downer than a good tidying session.

Myself, I'm wondering how to recycle a bunch of old electric cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

luckat wrote: »
    The travellers will take any old electric cables from you, they will remove the copper wire and recycle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

luckat wrote: »
    I pour gone-off liquid food down the toilet.

I don't know about recycling cosmetics - you might ask on the http://beaut.ie forum - they know everything about 'beauty' products over there.

Good luck with the clean-up - there's nothing better for a downer than a good tidying session.

Most recycling centres have facilities for electrical waste. Im not sure all travellers are as trustworthy as the ones Run_to_da_hills knows. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most recycling centres have facilities for electrical waste. Im not sure all travelers are as trustworthy as the ones Run_to_da_hills knows. ;)
    Travelers don't go near recycle ctrs, they take it to places like Hegarties, Galway Metal and Hammond Lane that reward them for their contribution towards the environment while the rest of us suckers get fleeced by the local authorities for doing our bit. Travellers have been recycling long before it became an enviornmental issue.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

try

freecycle.com - a yahoo group

jumletown.com

dublinwaste.ie

put your food wastage in your food recyle bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Travelers don't go near recycle ctrs, they take it to places like Hegarties, Galway Metal and Hammond Lane that reward them for their contribution towards the environment while the rest of us suckers get fleeced by the local authorities for doing our bit. Travellers have been recycling long before it became an enviornmental issue.

And I used to regulalry ride where some of them did their recycling of car tyres and other electrical cables. Wasn't a pretty site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Poochie05

The travellers will take any old electric cables from you, they will remove the copper wire and recycle it.

Sometimes by burning the plastic off it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Travellers have been recycling long before it became an enviornmental issue.
    Otherwise knowns as "stripping anything valuable out of it and then dumping the rest (i.e. most of it) somewhere by the side of the road in a layby in the Dublin mountains".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

try
    dublinwaste.ie

put your food wastage in your food recyle bin

thanks for that, but I'm not in or near Dublin :)

and we don't have a food recycling bin. :(

Advertisement