Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage Planning Permission Query

Options
  • 04-03-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I am going to build a garage behind our house. I was planning on building one 3.5m X 7m (24.5sqm). For planning exemption <25sqm, is it from the ouside of the external walls or the internal floor space ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,276 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tippgaafan wrote: »
    I am going to build a garage behind our house. I was planning on building one 3.5m X 7m (24.5sqm). For planning exemption <25sqm, is it from the ouside of the external walls or the internal floor space ?

internal floor area.

these are the requirements for the garage to be considered exempt.

You can build a garage, carport, shed, greenhouse, kennel for domestic pets, etc., as long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4 metres in heigh, (if it has a tiled or slated pitched roof), or 3 metres (if it has any other roof type).
    The floor area limitation for exempted development is 25 square metres and the structure may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses.
    Garages, sheds, etc. must match the finishes of the house.
    You cannot reduce the open space at the side or rear of the house below 25 square metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭tippgaafan

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Is there a minimum distance the garage has to be from the site boundary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

All floor are is meassured wall to wall internally! It excludes the width of the external walls. (Same as Department of Envirnoment uses for Floor Area Certificates, the old 1st Time Buyers Grant etc and the meassurement of planning fees or Fire Cert fees etc)

No part of the proposed structure should overhang the centre of the boundary wall. This includes fascia boards and rain gutters!

Distance from boundary - IMO for excavating foundations, building walls and external plastering etc 1m minimum is good.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

OP: did you perhaps see this thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055403984

[Posted for benefit of OP and not to reopen the debate]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Hi,

I have a similar query, where I already have extended my semi-detached house out the back. It was under the 40sq.m exemption, but we still have full planning permission for that piece of work.

So, I would like to erect a shed to the side of my house now to fill a wedge shaped piece of space that is left. If the proposed shed is going to be a steel shed, is further planning permission required?

Am I even allowed a steel shed, since I noticed in the planning laws that the roof cladding must match the house's roof.

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Alan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 criostor

garage built behind house about 40sqm without planning application. Can I apply retrospectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

criostor wrote: »
    garage built behind house about 40sqm without planning application. Can I apply retrospectively?
    Yes. You should make an application for retention permission. Get a local Architectural Technician and he should get you sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 criostor

Muffler many thanks for useful advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 griffk

Hi

Im iv just started building my house just poured foundations, I would like to build a garage of 35 sqm 4 m high but i havent got planning. Has anyone build a garage over the 25sq m without planning and applied for retention afterwards. It would be more convienient to put it up now or at least pit in the foundations while the builders and digger is on site.
    Would the council actually make me knock it if they came out during the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Please read the charter, nobody can advise you on flouting the planning laws. You need planning permission, end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 garybie46

Hi i am wondering can anybody help me my neighbour is building a garage car port out of scaffold bars and 4 x 2s timber on the roof. Its in full view of every window at the front of my house. Surely he cant have planning for this monstrosity. Can any body help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You need to go check it out at the offices of the Local Authority. They will be able to advise if there is planning permission in place. There is very little for the staff to do there now it should be easy to get someone out to check. But if the garage being constructed is considered to be an exempted development then there is little you can do.

Advertisement