Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Clare CC recycling depot tax an outragious scandal and a step backwards.

Options
  • 04-03-2009 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I called up to the recycle center at the Gort road industrial estate in Ennis with my brother to off load a bag of bottles and some paper for recycling. We got a shock when the gateman said that there was a €4 charge per car irrespective of load. This is outrageous and an incentive for the community to go backwards towards landfill, flytipping and the burning of recyclable materials.

For those that are depositing electrical goods they are now taxed twice as they initially paid their electrical goods recycle tax at point of purchase.

The Gateman at the Gort road was equally disturbed and I would not blame him at all as he was only doing what he was told by Clare County Council.

He also explained that the number of cars has dropped from 350 a day to just under 70. Where is the Green party's input on this one?

Details of new charges. http://www.clarecoco.ie/Environment/EnnisRecyclingCentre.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 garimac

This is outrageous and an incentive for the community to go back wards to towards landfill, flytipping and burning of materials.

I have to agree on this. A similar entrance fee has been brought into the Clonakilty recycling centre.
    He also explained that the number of cars has dropped from 350 a day to just under 70.

While some will be willing to pay this fee, a number of people will not, and I wonder if this drop in cars is due to people storing up for larger drop-offs are finding 'alternative' means for disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

In athlone there is a recycling depot, where you can throw everything from glass,wood,old electrical applicances, grass etc,
    They charge 2e for entry per car, I dont find it excessive as you can recycle a lot of different items there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

garimac wrote: »
    While some will be willing to pay this fee, a number of people will not, and I wonder if this drop in cars is due to people storing up for larger drop-offs are finding 'alternative' means for disposal.
    Already people are doing very large drop offs at once and even combining runs with neighbours. €4 may not seem much to some but to others that are recently made redundant and at the same time are trying to retain the possession of their family home from a greedy banks it is a hell of a lot.

People are using complimentary skip bags to fill up their supplies of bottles and waste cardboard. The waste disposal companies are not too happy with this, next we will see a ban and possible fine for using these.

Means testing by vehicle is a farce as many people drop off the same amount of stuff whether its their own off duty van or private car. We had the same hassle with land fill fees.

As regards the electronic goods charge, I believe this is illegal as the recycling charge has already been paid at POS (Point of sale) I'm sure someone could bring this issue to Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

€4 may not seem much to some but to others that are recently made redundant and at the same time are trying to retain the possession of their family home from a greedy banks it is a hell of a lot.
    Are you having a laugh? Do you work for the Sun?

I agree though that charging is a dis-incentive. Personally I would pay €4 to drop a car load of stuff off. The centre in Drogheda charges €2 per load which is grand. However there are people out there who would rather throw rubbish into a ditch or someone's garden (as in my case) than pay a small fee. This is more of a anti-social element rather than a financial one. Even though we are providing recyclers with material, there is a cost with running those centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

The global market for recycled materials has collapsed and some companies/local authorities have opted to warehouse large amounts of the stuff to wait for an upturn. In short, it costs more to provide the recycling service.

Regarding the drop in the number of cars - I would put a lot of that down to people taking bigger loads each time - when Mulleady's "Recycling" here put in a €2 minimum for recycling, I cut my visit frequency in half and now take some garbage as well (their "Civic Amenity Centre" handles both recycling and general waste), so I end up filling up the car. Times are hard all around and I don't see the problem with a nominal door charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Drax wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh? Do you work for the Sun?

€4 is just the start, just like the hospital outpatients fee that started off as an acceptable £5 in the 80ies and is now currently at e100. It will inevitably creep up with each budget and in no time it will be €20 then €30 etc.

I have to correct myself on a previous post, the Clare CC do not charge for electrical appliance recycling as this is already covered in the purchase price of an electrical product.

Advertisement