Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the point of art?

Options
  • 04-03-2009 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Define art and it's position in todays society. Do this in a sentence, if you can by words. Express it in a picture if you will, via photoshop or whatever program that is your best tool to do so. Express your understanding of 'art' here.

I am fond of the expression 'Art is the lie that tells the truth', that is my contribution in words. That short sentence speaks volumes. I'm interested to know other folks expressions or feelings via words or pictures on the definition of 'art'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

This a question you got in college or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FlyOver

This a question you got in college or something?

Sounds like it.

Art is whatever you want it to be.... i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Haha!

Do your own homework :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Art is subjective IMO... Tracy Emin's bed is art to some people, to others it is pretentious nonsense.

Some people will say that a flower whithering and dying is beautiful art, while others will say it's just a dying flower.

To some, art has to be contrived, to others, nature is the ultimate form of art.

etc. etc.

It's subjective, and I don't think any definition I've seen completely encapsulates art as it is understood by different people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

'Art is the lie that tells the truth'[/B

You a big Picaso fan?

Art is the thing that doesn't get done because people talk about it too much in my experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement