Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental Cold Turkey

Options
  • 03-03-2009 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in bed with the flu and haven't had a cigarette in 29 hours. while i've often toyed with the idea of eventually quitting this has been unplanned due to running out of tobacco and not having the energy to go to the shop.
    Would it be a good idea now to try and quit for good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Yes! Try your very best to stay off them. It might be the best way for you to give them up because it's unplanned, I know a few people who did it that way and found it easier than times when they had planned to give up. I'm off them nearly two years and in that time I have had one cold which lasted about three days! Just one of the advantages of being off cigarettes!! Staying off them now might help you get over the flu quicker. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

A friend had pneumonia and quit then.
    He hasn't smoked in about 7 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Terry wrote: »
    A friend had pneumonia and quit then.
    He hasn't smoked in about 7 years now.

poomonia? Why would be stop smoking if he's got the squirts?

No, in all seriousness, alot of people give up smoking for a week because of the flu and just decide not to smoke again.

Its good because the worst days are the first three

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭bluecell99

A great idea to stop this way.My cousin smoked 30 a day from age 14 to 44 and stopped during a bad flu.Has not had a drag since and that was ten years ago.

I know another guy who could not leave the house after stomach surgery and was in bed all the time.His wife is a non smoker.He has never smoked since and was a thirty a day man for over thirty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    I'm currently in bed with the flu and haven't had a cigarette in 29 hours. while i've often toyed with the idea of eventually quitting this has been unplanned due to running out of tobacco and not having the energy to go to the shop.
    Would it be a good idea now to try and quit for good?

This is how I quit. I had planned on giving up, a bad chest infection meant I couldn't smoke for a week, so I thought ok let's see if I can stay off them this time. 6 and a half years later I'm still off them. So yeah it can be a good time to stop ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement