Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifications needed to be a sociology lecturer?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi peoples, I sat my leaving cert exams last summer and took a year out as I wasnt sure what I wanted to do in college. At the moment im seriously considering sociology lecturing career wise and im pretty set on it. Basically i would just like to know how long it would take me to become a lecturer and what qualifications would i need after the bachelors degree? (masters, P.h.D?) And which postgrad courses would i need to do? If anyone could shed some light on this for me id really appreciate it, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

luke999 wrote: »
    Hi peoples, I sat my leaving cert exams last summer and took a year out as I wasnt sure what I wanted to do in college. At the moment im seriously considering sociology lecturing career wise and im pretty set on it. Basically i would just like to know how long it would take me to become a lecturer and what qualifications would i need after the bachelors degree? (masters, P.h.D?) And which postgrad courses would i need to do? If anyone could shed some light on this for me id really appreciate it, thanks!

It depends on where you want to lecture. Most Universities now won't touch you without a PhD and a record of research/publication. An I.T. will more than likely want you to have a Masters. You might be lucky and get away with an honours degree, but you'd be expected to do a Masters at the earliest possible opportunity. As for how long it would take, well, that depends. You could probably do the undergrad degree in 4 years (3 minimum). Follow that with a Masters (maybe a taught one in a year or else a 2 year research one) or a PhD if you got a 1st or 2:1 which would take 4 years (at least 3). So work it out from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

If you're set on this career path, start making yourself know in the sociology dept in your college. let your lecturers know that you're interested in this career and that you want to be involved in any research that they're doing (summer job/placement etc).
    Also, if you're doing a postgrad later on, apply to tutor 1st year soc students.

All this experience will stand to you later on.

The university root to lecturing is a tough one and as above poster said, many wont touch you without a Phd or published research.

Within ITs they want to see experience, and lots of it!! My advise is to take some time off from academics in between your masters and Phd, and work in the 'real world'. This will give you great credibility in your field and also help when chosing a topic for your Phd (3 to 5 years for sociology).

hope this helps and best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

Thanks a mill guys, lots of very useful info and advice there. Ill put it all to good use! Thanks again

Advertisement