Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you pay 1000euro for this

Options
  • 03-03-2009 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Dell XPS M1530

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1- English

3 Year Premium Warranty Support

2.0 mega pixel Camera & Tuxedo Black for CCFL Display

15.4" UltraSharp™ Widescreen WSXGA (1680x1050) TFT Display with TrueLife™

Biometric Fingerprint Reader with BLACK accent

4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]

500GB Serial ATA (5400RPM) Hard Drive

NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic memory

Internal Blu-Ray RW (Blu-Ray, DVD and CD read & WRITE) Slot Load Drive with Software

Primary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)
    Accessories

Dell™ Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module (up to 3Mbps) with Enhanced Data rate - Eur

Dell™ Wireless 1395 802.11b/g Mini-Card - Europe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Neither would I, and make sure you read up on the nvidia gpu problem, iv had two xps M1330's and my brother has one.They use the same gpu as the 1530...

Here
    And Here
    And Here...

You can make up your own mind from that info, but just beware you could be up shít creek when the warrenty is finished.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

make sure you read up on the nvidia gpu problem, iv had two xps M1330's and my brother has one.They use the same gpu as the 1530...
    The M1530 doesnt appear to suffer from overheating GPUs the way M1330 does.

At least, I have seen nothing to indicate that it does. I read several laptop forums and while i've seen a LOT of reports of M1330s fail due to GPU problems, I don't think i've seen any at all for the M1530. It has a larger chassis with a better cooling solution, and doesnt run the GPU any way near as hot as the M1330 does.

That's not to say it doesnt happen, or that it won't, but going by numbers so far there's nothing I see that would make me warn anyone.
    You can make up your own mind from that info, but just beware you could be up shít creek when the warrenty is finished.
    The GPU warranty is extended on all M1530s by a year past the 'normal' warranty in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭markjobrien

hang on

2.4ghz
    4gb RAM
    500gb HD
    Blu-Ray
    256mb GPU dedicated

show me another laptop that is comparable for the same money

looks like i can get it for 700 brand new now

Surely thats good value

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah thats true, but the way they handle the "fix" if the problem occurs is crazy, they just replace the whole mobo and the user sit's back and waits for it to happen again.....

Anyway I was just making sure the OP was aware of the issue, it's a lot of money to lay down on a lappy.

CC

• Advertisement

its got a two year warranty to be fair and an extra year on the GPU so 3 yrs cover a problem that may or may not occur plus i wouldn't be a huge user of it for games

i reckon i'd have it for a couple of years before something new take my fancy anyway the same spec laptop is 1500 on dell.ie and i can get for 750 nearly new.

What the catch

hang on

2.4ghz
    4gb RAM
    500gb HD
    Blu-Ray
    256mb GPU dedicated

show me another laptop that is comparable for the same money

Surely thats good value
    At €1000, there are a lot of competitors with similar specs.
    But at €700, that is definitely good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

THat laptop for 700, sounds to me like your buying from madlaptop :p:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Now that's a different kettle of rashers.

Yes, it would be worth €700.

it would be 750 actually

Anyone got a comparable laptop for the same price or even close

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This is miles better for games. It all depends on what you're doing. As an all round laptop, the M1530 @ 700 is pretty good. Just noticed you'd be buying 2nd hand - so it's a pretty average price then.

The only thing i'd say about that Acer is that it's €800 on laptopsdirect, so by the time you buy it from somewhere reputable, it's probably €900+. Lately it seems anyone you ask says not to buy from those guys! :pac: And the screen res of 1366x768 would put me off personally, just seems a bit low for a 16".

But apart from that, it looks nice a nice machine.

If the Dell is not actually new (im confused, you said it was :confused:) then obviously it changes things... But if it's just a refurb, I believe it is still good value, especially with the BR and 3-year warranty. That warranty usually costs a good few quid on Dell.ie, and its a useful thing to have.

got the full details its brand new from Dell not a refurb with a 2 year warranty and the blu ray drive is writer not jjust a reader like the acer listed

Getting it through a contact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Try get an XPS16 Studio.... that's about where they start coming in and it's a more up to date platform. The XPS 1530's Santa Rosa platform is getting on a bit now...

the studio 16 at a similiar spec level +2yr warranty + blu-ray comes in at 1500euro

Apart from the GFX card which granted is double 256mb to 512mb. Intel's new 2.4ghz processor versus the Santa Rosa one only has an increased Front Side Bus from 800mhz to 1066Mhz the same L2 cache hardly earth shattering if i'm not mistaken.

So the 1530 comes in at half the price

Advertisement