Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie wants an SLR

Options
  • 03-03-2009 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi ya'll

Basically, I really want to buy an SLR Digital Camera, but have no idea where to start.
    I really want a basic, easy to use camera to start with. I'm going to start photography classes in the summer, but am looking into buying one now to start snapping asap!
    I have a compact Sony but want to move on from it, I want bigger and better!

Any help, my professional peeps!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Hi ya'll

Basically, I really want to buy an SLR Digital Camera, but have no idea where to start.
    I really want a basic, easy to use camera to start with. I'm going to start photography classes in the summer, but am looking into buying one now to start snapping asap!
    I have a compact Sony but want to move on from it, I want bigger and better!

Any help, my professional peeps!?

Budget? Interests (sport, landscape, gigs ect)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Hi SapphireDiamond

Have a look here, there's a whole lot of information to be found re finding the right camera! If you go to post #10 you'll find some other first times buyers and advice on specific models.

If that doesn't help, maybe state your budget and what you would be mainly using it for.

Good luck with the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Don't let Rymus see you post without a price budget! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 matood

Hi
    My experience was...i just get a really goooood deal for nikon D60 so i did get it. I had an old niko before and i was really happy with it`s performance. So for me this was really cool. And now on, D60 is very good camera, very easy to use (even full manual mode). Menu is very simple and easy to understand, you can get help in menu anytime you are in it so...also it`s a i think the smallest camera on market i think and very light (but yeah, depends on lens you using).
    Overall i get very easy to use it and shooting pics with it. I think any DSLR from nikon might do that job for you (entry level D40, D60, D90). I never used canon because of bad experience so i never come back to it (but many other paople are happy and i never said they are bad, the same category as nikon , depends on preferences). So go into shop, touch and play.
    Hope will help you
    Happy shooting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

/serious mode

http://www.adverts.ie/index.php
    Plenty of 2nd hand ones here such as the Canon 400D etc

If buying new you can't go wrong with any of these
    Canon 1000D, 400D or the 450D.

If money is not an issue Canon 40D or the Nikon D90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Don't let Rymus see you post without a price budget! :eek:

And lets not get into the whole Canon Vs Nikon, Cornflakes Vs Cocopops debate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Whoops, forgot budget....

Am, I guess between €200 and €650 at max
    I wouldn't mind a good second hand... but would be nervous at same time!

My sister is going to the states next week and we noticed camera's are cheaper over there!

It'd mainly be of friends, family, scenary, and travelling.

Had a look on ebay for some as well, but it being such a big purchase and not really knowing what I'm buying, I'm not sure I want to go down that route yet. Without help anyway.

Heard Canon's were one of the best, but I really don't care what brand (I'm no label head)

Thanks ladies and gents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 matood

Definitelly don`t go into this debate. Both of them producing awesome cameras, it`s up to you what you choose. My advice, go into shop, tell them what you want even the price quide and play with it. Don`t much listen to them they just trying to sell so...Play with it and see what more suits to you and then just get from US because you can`t compare prices here and there...If you are in dublin check conn`c cameras, mr. Conn is very helpfull man, i always get something i didn`t know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Once again.

If you are looking at getting into Photography then you want to look at the "system" and not just the entry level camera. This will be the availability of lenses & accessories to use in the future. Most people stay with the brand they buy originally, so it can be an important decision.

The two big names are Nikon & Canon, but Sony are starting to increase their market share now. There are MANY threads on here debating the finer points on all the brands, so worth going back & having a read.

If it were me starting out again I would probably stick to either Nikon or Canon, as there is not much in the difference really. Both have good support no end of extra gear to keep you poor. Neither make bad cameras or lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

If you increase your budget slightly you'd probably pick up a Nikon D80 and 18-200mm VR lens....which would cover about 90% of any photos you plan on taking. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Canon, nikon, olympus, sony, pentax all make pretty decent cameras. Consider - price, spefications, second hand options and most importantly how it feels in your hand.

They all have there advantages and disadvantages.

My shout goes for the sony a200 - lot of camera for yer money. Second mention goes to the nikon d40 or the oly e520

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Thanks! Might look into Sony! Looking at Nikon's now too...

Anyone know of a good spot to buy secondhand

I'm located in Galway, but online and travelling is an option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Anyone know of a good spot to buy secondhand[/QUOTE

Check the link to adverts above. Dedicated photography section.

I'm pretty sure theres a camera shop in galway city center. I'd saw they would do second hand. It would be the place to go into and try get a feel for all the different cameras though.

I'm pretty sure theres a camera shop in galway city center. I'd saw they would do second hand. It would be the place to go into and try get a feel for all the different cameras aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

My Advice is as follows:

One you are entering a whole new world and if you get the bug you will change your attitude to photography. you might start out loving taking pictures of buildings and end up taking macro shots of insects. This translates to don't answer when asked what type of photography are you into, it will change as you develop.

go for an entry level kit, I am no digital expert but have seen nikon and canon kits new for €400 with VR zoom lens. Go into the Gunn's camera shop ask them, try it out, feel it, then go into 3 other shops and get their opinion on the same camera you felt was right for you back in Gunns. then go for the best price (translated as Gunns) or take a gamble (customs) and get it from Hong Kong.

get your camera and then go mad! eventually as you grow you'll know more. Unlike film cameras, Digital bodies matter more (something to do with megapixies), in film cameras, it's the lens and the film!

So one day, you will be upgrading. with that in mind, don't tear open the box treat everything religously and store it away to sell later with box and original packaging.

now I am slipping off to clean the f/2 Ultron lens on a Voitlander Vitessa L.
    I got it from a russian friend today as a gift, was lying in their house in moscow for years. I love immigrants! I can't wait to give this baby a test drive. feck yer digital............. smirks.......... I got me a mint Ultron!:D

Advertisement