Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap beer!

Options
  • 03-03-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Cobra beer, 24 x 330ml bottles (5% alc)

wait fot it........

17.99!! Best deal on beer i can remember (and this stuff is not approaching its best before date!)

all obriens fine wins..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

24x330ml=7920ml @ €17.99= €2.27 per litre.

my O'Briens is also doing 24x500ml cans of cobra 5% for €25

12000ml @€;25= €2.08 per litre.

So a little cheaper, really depends if you favour cans or bottles. Most go for bottles, but they are a pain for some to get rid of, and to carry.

Remember folks, longnecks are usually way more expensive.

A longneck at €5.25 in a pub is over €9 per pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

aye but cobra is sweet to drink and Bud tastes like pi$$ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

rubadub wrote: »

So a little cheaper, really depends if you favour cans or bottles. Most go for bottles, but they are a pain for some to get rid of, and to carry.

Remember folks, longnecks are usually way more expensive.

haha ur just like myself...i did the sums aswell but i rather bottles if there isnt much of a price diff, that plus my local obriens dont have the cans left, they told me that offer is now finished and being replaced with the bottles...

out of interest, what do most people think of cobra? Is it up there with other premium beers such as tiger?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

cojomo2 wrote: »
    out of interest, what do most people think of cobra? Is it up there with other premium beers such as tiger?
    You should form an opinion based on what you think of it, not on others consensus, which will be based on marketing anyway because they're all just flavourless lagers. They all taste practically the same people!

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    You should form an opinion based on what you think of it, not on others consensus
    Some people are not big beer drinkers and might be getting it in for parties etc. I have people asking me what to get in at xmas. I once saw an auld one getting a tray of guinness stout, I told her "you know there is guinness draft, are you sure thats not the one", and it was a mistake, she recognised the other can when I pointed it out. I warn my father not to get budweiser or miller. I have never seen a miller/bud drinker turn down heineken or carlsberg, but have seen it vice versa.
    They all taste practically the same people!
    True, most do, some are different, like miller, bud, warsteiner (I like it, mates hate it) & stella. Cobra is a very generic beer, I like it.
    premium beers such as tiger?
    I would not call tiger "premium", unless you equate "premium" with overpriced, and/or having premium written on the label, and adverts in papers or TV. Most of the true premium beers are not advertised, they do not have to. The main cost of many "premium" beers is the marketing, look at bud, one of the cheapest ingredients (rice & potato waste), really quickly fermented (leading to nasty by-products being produced), yet they charge a fortune. Those TV ads ain't cheap.

People are easily swayed by market perception. I remember when lowenbrau was cheap here in some offies, a mate had crates at xmas and people were turning their nose up at it since it was "cheap", and unknown, while in germany it is a highly respected brand, and it is a lovely beer. Also people turn their nose up at amsterdam mariner, €1 per can in O'Briens, then you tell people it is brewed by grolsch and it is suddenly lovely :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I once saw an auld one getting a tray of guinness stout, I told her "you know there is guinness draft, are you sure thats not the one", and it was a mistake, she recognised the other can when I pointed it out

Wait, are you telling me you advised someone NOT to get bottles of extra stout and to get Draught instead? :eek: Why would you inflict that on the poor woman? Guinness extra stout is the only reasonably good beer they make apart from the rare foreign extra.

Tiger beer is not a "premium" beer. It is an imported beer making it more expensive maybe but it is not premium because of its quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Cobra is a really nice beer... quite strong though. At 17.99 for 24 bottles, I may take a punt at that for paddy's weekend!

I hope Tesco does another 25% off day on all beer. Need to stock up on some O'Haras and Bishops finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Tiger and Cobra are so full of additives and preservatives that they give you vicious hangovers. Stick with the German, Czech and Polish beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I wonder if there'll be ridiculous sales on beer for Paddys day. The offers seemed to have been toned down a lot since last year. I know Tesco got in trouble when they did that BOGOF offer on trays about two years ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Saruman wrote: »
    I hope Tesco does another 25% off day on all beer. Need to stock up on some O'Haras and Bishops finger.

Tesco's had an offer on all O'Haras brews there at the weekend, not sure if its still on though!!!!
    It was buy any two O'Haras get a euro off.
    So two bottles for €4.56.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

DRINK !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Feck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Arse !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 ImFeelingLucky

Women !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Women !

facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

why in the name of jasus did i give up drinking :confused:....:mad:

Wait, are you telling me you advised someone NOT to get bottles of extra stout and to get Draught instead? :eek: Why would you inflict that on the poor woman?
    Better than her going home and getting beaten around the house for getting the wrong beer. It was a case of extra stout cans.
    latenia wrote: »
    Tiger and Cobra are so full of additives and preservatives that they give you vicious hangovers. Stick with the German, Czech and Polish beers.
    Myth, there are trace amounts of preservatives in some beers. Do you really think if you took 20 pints worth of preservative powder in a tablet that you would get a hangover?

Also have you any data/info on the amount of additives & preservatives in Tiger or Cobra? Or did you study under the tutelage of Professor Bloke N. Da'Pub

Better than her going home and getting beaten around the house for getting the wrong beer. It was a case of extra stout cans.

Ah cans.. never had the extra stout in a can. Im sure its not as good as the bottle but I would say i would prefer it to a can of draught Guinness.. then again, thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Bah too slow!!!

• Advertisement

Guinness extra stout is the only reasonably good beer they make apart from the rare foreign extra.
    Foreign extra is not that great or rare. The real rarity and treat (and also possibly the oldest guinness recipe still around) is Guinness Special Export, which people seem to oft mix up with Foreign Extra. It's not too difficult to get in germany, if you're there have a look for it. Very nice stuff...

Another treat if anyone is visiting denmark is Carls (a subsidiary of Carlsberg) Porter. My favourite porter/stout I've ever tasted. Very old style, strong, alcoholic and flavourful. Not like modern nitros

Edit: Images for clarity
    carls_porter.png172704.jpg
    http://www.carlsberggroup.com/brands/Pages/CarlsPorter.aspx

Foreign extra is not that great or rare. The real rarity and treat (and also possibly the oldest guinness recipe still around) is Guinness Special Export, which people seem to oft mix up with Foreign Extra. It's not too difficult to get in germany, if you're there have a look for it. Very nice stuff...

Another treat if anyone is visiting denmark is Carls (a subsidiary of Carlsberg) Porter. My favourite porter/stout I've ever tasted. Very old style, strong, alcoholic and flavourful. Not like modern nitros

Edit: Images for clarity
    carls_porter.png172704.jpg
    http://www.carlsberggroup.com/brands/Pages/CarlsPorter.aspx

Have you seen either of those available anywhere here?

slayerking wrote: »
    Have you seen either of those available anywhere here?
    Redmonds in Renalagh had special export there before Christmas, alas not at the moment. The shopkeeper knows a guy who gets it for him in Belgium.

Devaney's in Rathmines had it a few years ago on request, and might get it in again if you ask them.

Diageo distributers are *****rs to be honest, I mean the stuff actually comes from St. James's gate and they simply won't give it to Irish vintners.

I've never seen any of the carls range anywhere but Denmark, though I Imagine it might be in Sweden too probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Remember folks ladies, longnecks are usually way more expensive.

actually cobra is decent. better than carlsberg imho

• Registered Users Posts: 45,277 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

latenia wrote: »

and they dont give hangovers:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

S.I.R wrote: »
    why in the name of jasus did i give up drinking :confused:....:mad:

in honour of your ? god ................ jasus ?

Redmonds in Renalagh had special export there before Christmas, alas not at the moment. The shopkeeper knows a guy who gets it for him in Belgium.

Devaney's in Rathmines had it a few years ago on request, and might get it in again if you ask them.

Diageo distributers are *****rs to be honest, I mean the stuff actually comes from St. James's gate and they simply won't give it to Irish vintners.

I've never seen any of the carls range anywhere but Denmark, though I Imagine it might be in Sweden too probably.

Was in Redmonds about 2 weeks ago stocking up and didnt see it, must ask them next time I'm in.
    Pity its so hard to get over here! :mad:

I have never seen the special export. I will keep an eye out for it. I doubt it is as good as O' Haras or Fullers London Porter but I would be interested in trying it.

Apexavier is right, foreign extra is not that great but compared to normal Guinness draught it has a lot more character.

I would love Guinness to bring out a premium version using an original recipe and bottle conditioning.

Advertisement