Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Centre

Options
  • 03-03-2009 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi All, anyone here working in a Data Centre, just wondering what one of those places are like to work in after a couple of years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I'm a technical engineer so spend a lot of my time in them. What the place is like to work in really depends on what your role is going to be. What are you looking to work at?

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'd like to do server support/builds, but not necessarily building servers all day. I think I'd go out of my head if I was stuck in a large cold server centre all day and night.. A lot of the time I think this is what this type of role is, monitoring and break fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Generally operations staff etc. would be looking after the monitoring side. It's usuall external contractors HP/IBM/Seimens/Sun/EMC etc who look after the hardware maintenance side of things and some builds. Some companies are multi-vendor some aren't(ie: will fix all brands of server).

Some companies have site based engineers who are pretty much just there all day in case there are hardware problems and they fill in their time doing extra stuff like builds as either chargable or value added calls. Also providing a single point of contact and generally around for technical queries the customer might have.

Depending on the type of customer contract you may be assigned as 'mobile'. You'd basically be a mobile engineer.

This isn't the exact way it works everywhere but seems to be pretty much the norm in most places i've worked. Generally i find though I'm only in the data-centre if there's a problem. The rest of the time i'm elsewhere in the building or doing other work for the company i work for.

Generally you will need to get certified on systems to get engineer jobs but sometimes you can get it with enough experience. If you want to know more about certification just let me know.

I hope this helps.

-Funk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

I work in Operations. Its ok. not very exciting stuff. Its a 24 hour monitoring job so I work 12 hour shift day & night. but we get a nice bit of down time which is the best thing, plenty of days off. after working here for nearly 2 years I have to get out of here but there are no IT jobs anywhere. I'm sick of it. You're constantly tired, locked away in an office where the rest of the emplyees are in a bigger room where they can talk and have a bit of a laugh. at night its not busy so generally pretty boring stuff. It's a great stepping stone but I couldn't tell you you'd love it. its a bit soul destroying and you get really lazy unless you force yourself to play sport or other things to keep awake/sane haha.

Advertisement