Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partition and the divergance of cultures

Options
  • 03-03-2009 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Martin McGuinness:
    "There are a number of tremendous evils in our society. One is racism, the other is sectarianism and I think an evil also is partitionism."

When McGuinness talks about the partitionist midset I think he is in effect refering to cultural divergance on this island. Perhaps it was inevitable that political seperation would bring about cultural divergance.

Will the peace in the north and the growing cross border relations halt this divergance and erode our partitionist midset here in the south?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

malman wrote: »
    Martin McGuinness:

When McGuinness talks about the partitionist midset I think he is in effect refering to cultural divergance on this island. Perhaps it was inevitable that political seperation would bring about cultural divergance.

Will the peace in the north and the growing cross border relations halt this divergance and erode our partitionist midset here in the south?
    What Martin McGuinness statement was in responce to Conor Lenihan's statement on people shopping in the six counties ( I think most will agree Lenihan and FF in particuliar have a bloody hard neck consider their off shore accounts, bribes and day light roobery ).
    He wasn't refering to cultural divergance. Tyrone are All Ireland football senior and minor champions, I haven't any stats but I'd say Bunscoil's are proportionately higher in nationalists areas of the six counties than they are in the south, and the same may well be said of Irish music and dancing.

Advertisement