Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General heating query

Options
  • 02-03-2009 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

This might be a bit general for the forum but if somone here knows the answer thanks!

With the 'long hot summer' approaching im using the radiators a lot less and most days only put on the water heating for a hour.

Just wondering is the cost of heating the water alone for an hour the same as an hour of general heating for the rads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

turn down the wall thermostat if you want to heat the water without the radiators coming on (or by "turn on the water heating" do you mean the immersion switch?). Its going to get cold again this week though according to the weatherman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Just wondering is the cost of heating the water alone for an hour the same as an hour of general heating for the rads?

I'd say it would cost a bit more, seen as your pumping hot water to the rads, where the heat is released this meaning the boiler needing to fire up a bit more often to keep the temp up...

As already mentioned, Colder weather is on it's way so I wouldn't switch those rads of just yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I probably should have explained a bit better at the start:P

On the control panel for the boiler there are two buttons, one for Rads and one for Water. They work independantly of each other, ie if you have the heat on for the water, the rads dont come on and visa versa.

Hitting the water button i have hot water within 40 minutes. Im sure there is a way for them to come on togeather but i never worked out the timer cause ive never really needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I probably should have explained a bit better at the start:P

On the control panel for the boiler there are two buttons, one for Rads and one for Water. They work independantly of each other, ie if you have the heat on for the water, the rads dont come on and visa versa.

Hitting the water button i have hot water within 40 minutes. Im sure there is a way for them to come on togeather but i never worked out the timer cause ive never really needed it.

Ive struggled to get my head round it. We always had hot water straight off without turning on any switches. Waiting nervously for that gas bill! :eek:

In BC, Canada we had hydro which included free heating all winter and a $30 bill every two or three months. With all these mountains around us its shame they dont start looking at hydro here.

Advertisement