Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching in UK

Options
  • 02-03-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi,

I was just wondering from anyone that knows about primary teaching PGCE'S in the UK.

I got my degree from a UK university and am thinking of applying to do primary teaching. Unfortunatly, I don't have a word of Irish anymore so I think it's the most realistic proposition.

My only problem is that they a lot of them seem to require a C in GCSE Science which I thought was the equivalant of the Junior-Cert. I did get a C in it in the Junior Cert alright but unfortunatly, didn't do any Science subjects in the Leaving which from ringing up a couple of them seems to be required.

Anyone got any ideas if there is a way around this?

My Leaving subjects were Geography, Economics, German and History along with the obligatory three.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sabastien

It looks like the gods are conspiring to ensure I don't end up primary teaching one way or the other (or maybe my overactive social life during the leaving is to blame).

From doing a bit of research, it seems that unis' in England need science (biology, physics and chemistry only) at C ordinary or D Higher for consideration to a PGCE.

I then learned that Scotland (the PGDE) don't have the science requirement but require maths at B3 at ordinary. If im wrong with any of this, could someone correct me?

I of course took the absolute piss during the leaving regarding maths thinking Id never need it and was delighted with a C3 at ordinary.
    Anyone with any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

Hi

The gods do seem to be conspiring against you.
    It seems to me that your best bet at this point are the English universities that allow you to sit equivalency tests to prove your ability. This is roughly the same as Junior Cert Science I've been told! Not all unis offer this so you will need to do some research into it.
    As you have discovered Scotland don't ask for Science but want higher grades for both Maths and English.
    As places as going quickly (see the gttr.ac.uk for course vacancies) I would advise you to apply quickly as the most popular unis are now full.

Of course you could just go back and re-sit the leaving cert Irish...
    Best of luck!

ps. you will find lots more information here
    http://www.educationposts.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=8

Advertisement