Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm an Adult, Get me out of here! REVISITED

Options
  • 02-03-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Does anyone remember this RTE show which I think ran for 2 seasons in 2006 and 2007? It involved a property advisor 'helping' young adults to get their own place and move out of their parents house.

I'd love to see a follow up show called 'I'm an Adult, Get me out of here! REVISITED'. But in the absense of that I'd love to rewatch this series in the post property boom light of day, and see how much negative equity the property guru involved helped these young adults to get themselves into!

One of young women is featured in this Dec07 property magazine cover, and i think her and her sister bought a 2 bed in sandyford for EUR380k.
    http://www.irishpropertybuyer.com/coverstory.php?id=34

I remember that the property guru regularly advised people to sell their cars and tap their parents to get the adequate deposit accumulated asap.

If you have any other information on the property purchases made on this show or if you can remember any other interesting bits of information, please post them here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'd say it would make for very depressing viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

I remember this, it was a great show.
    I cant remember any of the advice, but remember someof the people on it.
    A girl and her partner living with her parents---her mother did everything for them.
    A young father looking for somewhere to live, he was advised to sell his car (looked like a banger to me, but he really didnt want to sell it)
    2 sisters...very posh well to do, think their parents were stumping up most of the mortgage for them---this was one episode that i hated, as it didnt help the average person out.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/imanadult/

This will give you a run down of each episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

Oh i remember more about the 2 girls, their mother and father were seperated, and their dad gives them 500 euro each every month as pocket money....now these two girls were in their mid 20's and worked full time. Their mother went gurantor and also give them 70,000 euro deposit!!!

What the heck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I've thought about that before as well! Thing is though, they were given what was good advice at the time & as "adults" can't really complain that they didn't know there was any risk involved.

Alot of my friends are in similar situations (negative equity) but at the end of the day they've got their own place, out from under the parents roof and all the perks that come with that. The purchase was a long-term one, and it's fairly likely that over 20 - 40 years the value of the properties will come back up again (if it doesn't that probably means that we're all f**ked!).

Anyone who's in negative equity that's forced to sell any time soon has my pity though. Hopefully the government's intervention can stop it happening to too many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I found it very hard to watch people being persuaded to buy one bed apartments in Dundalk when they had jobs in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Orls81 wrote: »
    Oh i remember more about the 2 girls, their mother and father were seperated, and their dad gives them 500 euro each every month as pocket money....now these two girls were in their mid 20's and worked full time. Their mother went gurantor and also give them 70,000 euro deposit!!!

What the heck!!
    Do you remember the lads from Bray? Two brothers? That had to be the best one - won't go into the details because I start to get embarrassed for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Orls81 wrote: »
    2 sisters...very posh well to do, think their parents were stumping up most of the mortgage for them---this was one episode that i hated, as it didnt help the average person out.

I remember those two. They spent the first half of the show running down areas of Dublin "sure we'd die before go to Inchicore" or words to that effect. Inchicore was used metioned several times, they were just to good for the area it seems.

They bought an apartment in Sandyford. And they got some mega deposit from the father, 50k or possibly more.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

t-ha wrote: »
    Do you remember the lads from Bray? Two brothers? That had to be the best one - won't go into the details because I start to get embarrassed for them!

here now - i know them. their dad used to owe a pub, just off the main street

here now - i know them. their dad used to owe a pub, just off the main street
    Ah they came across nice, just... well... they made for good tv! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

were they the two sisters who had a huge pile of clothes in the corner and decided what to wear according to what was on top of the pile??
    i think they both worked in the same place and refused to sell one car to help with a deposit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

That 'property guru' was the property investor by the name of a Mr McGuire if i remember correctly.
    t-ha wrote:
    I've thought about that before as well! Thing is though, they were given what was good advice at the time & as "adults" can't really complain that they didn't know there was any risk involved.

Alot of my friends are in similar situations (negative equity) but at the end of the day they've got their own place, out from under the parents roof and all the perks that come with that. The purchase was a long-term one, and it's fairly likely that over 20 - 40 years the value of the properties will come back up again (if it doesn't that probably means that we're all f**ked!).

A biased program based on the views of that person who 'foresaw' no crash at all despite people screaming from the rooftops about it back then. They signed over their life to live in an apt for probably the rest of their lives, a heavy price.
    t-ha wrote:
    Anyone who's in negative equity that's forced to sell any time soon has my pity though. Hopefully the government's intervention can stop it happening to too many people.
    What can they do? The country is going broke. The govt should not bail them out based on their bad decisions, it would put the financial reputation of this country into even more crap as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

The presenter, McGuire, was interviewed on Tubridy Tonight in Nov/Dec 2007 just as the prices started to tumble. His advice then on the show was to "buy right now, take advantage of the good deals before the prices rise again a few months down the line". Here we are a year and a half later and I haven't seen him on tv since he made that comment!!!

It was a good show though. Very entertaining. A follow-up show would be great viewing I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

i don't think it would be called "i'm an adult, get me out of here; revisited" but rather "I'm in debt, get me out of here!"
    i'd like to see McGuire spin that one.
    that show is the reason i don't have a TV anymore, public service my hole.
    more like free advertising for pyramid selling.
    the episode where he talks the guy back around to buying after he got cold feet having just seen "Future Shock" took the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

i reckon with this recession they will have rename programme to

"Im a geriatric - get me out of here" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

To be fair I only ever saw that show once, and the advise he gave was to rent... which was ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

If I remember correctly, while he was helping one of the adults get out of home, RTÉ aired the Future Shock Property Crash programme. It understandably gave the guy cold feet and John Maguire hit out at RTÉ for airing it. Scaremongering he called it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Can this show be viewed again anywhere online? (legally)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

"I'm in a 1 bed shoebox get me out of here!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Remember the girl who who was starting a property empire. She had a plan to have 10 or 20 house within 2 years.

I wonder what became of her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement