Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAC Hard Drive Issue

Options
  • 02-03-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Have the Mac osx.....but the inevitable has finally happened, there is no space left on my harddrive. Any ideas about how i can free up some? I have 6000 tunes on my lapper - and dont want to delete any...

So if any1 has any good suggestions about freeing space or buying an external it'd be appreciated (also i have fcuk all idea how to back up a laptop on to an external HD so that'd be apreciated too)

Ideally, I'd like to install more memory? Is that possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

FLYNN-DOG, it's very easy with most Mac laptops (though you haven't mentioned which model you have...?) to swap out the hard drive.

Find out if your drive is a SATA or IDE, and then buy the same in a larger capacity - if you have an 80GB drive, buy a 250GB one, say - and buy an external hard drive enclosure of the same type (SATA or IDE). Copy everything onto that, then swap it in.

Depending on your Mac model, you may be able to use FireWire 400 or 800 or you may be stuck with USB 2.0 - look at what ports you have.

You'd probably be wise to buy two 2.5" drives in the same capacity, so you can back up to one.

You might move this over to the Mac forum - you'll get better answers there.

Advertisement